Floppy ears on an angora?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently put up an ad that I am looking for angora rabbits for fiber quality, not show. I did already receive a reply, but the seller mentioned the rabbit he owns has great wool quality--but it's ears flopped.

My biggest question here is: does that happen sometimes with angora breeds (or just breeds of rabbits without lop in them in general)?

My sister DumansArk has raised rabbits for way longer than I ever have before, and (on even an unusual rabbit coat) she hasn't had that kind of ear issue pop up with her Astrex lines. Although the Rex types are really strong about throwing those pricked ears.

Tosh

Any breed of rabbit can have ear issues. I've seen FG with more ear carriage issues, as far as straight eared breeds go, than others. I have seen 1 EA with air plane ears. Its a fault/dq depending upon severity and breed. Rabbits were not of questionable breeding, just they were not as good type wise to have the ears they should have.

I too have seen the Bell Ears on FG, RebelRose, and good info on the EA. CptCrochetHook: What breed of Angora is the rabbit in question, out of curiosity?

I am FB friends with an EA breeder, and she just spent the last 2-3mths taping up the ears of one of her show hopefuls, because one lopped. She said that it happens when the ears grow too quickly for the ligaments and cartilage to keep up, causing the lop. Taping it up helped it develop the strength it needed to stand upright(She was far more technical in her explanation, as she is a vet student, lol).

DumansArk":1nvzfw0u said:
I too have seen the Bell Ears on FG, RebelRose, and good info on the EA. CptCrochetHook: What breed of Angora is the rabbit in question, out of curiosity?

Quite honestly, I have yet to find out. I did say the person replied today. :D lol (sisters!)

...But, as soon as I know, I'll post it here.

Tosh

I've had Rex ears flop, and I have a Chin buck who's ears are not prick.

I have noticed that he throws that problem, and sent his two daughters to the meat breeder. I'm not going to let him be my herd sire.

From my experience with German Shepherds, I hate ear taping, and if the offending pups are allowed to breed, you wind up with lines that require ear taping. Just not going to take a chance with my rabbits.

If it's just a wooler, I wouldn't care :)

Loped ears on breeds that should not have them
are usually brought about by weak ear cartilage. I would not use them as breeders.
With proper breeding choices and culling the problem can be bred out.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Ears are the rabbit's cooling system. Sometimes ears temporarily flop due to being engorged with blood when it is hot, or the ear tips dip. In this case, give cool water and mist the ears...otherwise, you can hope that as the juvenile grows it's cartilage firms up....but this still is not a good breeder candidate.

owlsfriend":2cu35byh said:
Ears are the rabbit's cooling system. Sometimes ears temporarily flop due to being engorged with blood when it is hot, or the ear tips dip. In this case, give cool water and mist the ears...otherwise, you can hope that as the juvenile grows it's cartilage firms up....but this still is not a good breeder candidate.

I recently learned about this too. If the babies are born/growing in the heat, the extra blood in their ears will cause them to droop. I think you see it more in EA's than other breeds because their ear furnishings add to the heat/weight. A couple of my buns from my June litter have a bit of a droop at the ends of their ears. Now that it's cooling down it'll be interesting to see if their ears prick up again. Both of their parents have great upright ears.

- TBF

Back