Horse hay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovemyroger

Reaction score
So I was wondering if there's any nutritional difference between the hay marked for rabbits and hay marked for horses. I feed my horses timothy hay and a bunch of scrap usually falls from each bale. Is this ok to give my bunny instead of the timothy from the pet store.

Absolutely! :)

Any horse hay is fine for rabbits... Timothy is kind-of the Mercedes of rabbit hay, and is prohibitively expensive for a lot of us. But if that's what you feed your horses, by all means, save some dough and feed it to your rabbits, too, rather than buy it at premium prices at the pet store! :)

As long as the hay doesn't have a lot of weeds it should be fine. I never fed our horse hay because my grandpa, who managed the field, did not put in the money or effort killing off a few not so great weeds. When ingested by a 1000lb horse it was not a big deal but if a 10lb rabbit picks out one of those weeds it could be serious. If not death for some. Other than that horse hay is usually fine for rabbits.

Pet store hay is insanely expensive. I did the math... and never bought it. :) Do yourself a favor and feed horse hay, or at least big bales. I buy Standlee compressed bales from TSC, not local hay, so I believe it's mostly weed-free. It's pretty pricey, but one 50 lb bale lasts me several months, so $19 isn't bad. (That's instead of $8 for 3 lbs, which is how the bagged "pet" hay is sold.)

You can get " pet" hay for $1/lb after shipping if you buy in bulk. I've done it before and just did it again for 50 lbs of the best bluegrass in the country to feed my chinchillas. There is no way anything local would come close to their needs.

akane":3ucu0chs said:
You can get " pet" hay for $1/lb after shipping if you buy in bulk. I've done it before and just did it again for 50 lbs of the best bluegrass in the country to feed my chinchillas. There is no way anything local would come close to their needs.
That's fortunate for you. $8 for 3 lbs is what pet hay goes for at the feed store, and $1/lb is still too much for me. Thankfully rabbits are not as sensitive as I guess chinchillas are.

I can get organic legume hay for $10 a bale. Everyone has a field of alfalfa but I can't feed the chins legume hay. Grass hay here I call weed hay. Most people just let wild grasses take over a field and then bale it to sell for the same as alfalfa. No one wants good grass hay. If they aren't feeding high energy alfalfa then they have easy keepers who just need to stay full on something.

Latest posts

Back