DIY Wire Cages- Instructions Needed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny.

As I am seriously consideering getting into breeding longhaired rabbits, I was adressed that they won't do well on the bedding covered concrete floor of my colony. So, my thought was to build my own wire cages and put them inside the colony, just too keep everything together. My original idea was to buy some old cages and stack them one on each other, but the biggest size I came across is only 80(L) x 50(W) x 33(H) centimeters and are divided in two, which gives you a tiny "shoebox" cage of 40 x 50 cm and I feel bad about keeping rabbits in that small space.

My plan is to buy some wire and put together 3 cages that would measure 100(L) x 50(W) x 45(H) for a single rabbit/small group of weaned rabbits. I feel like it would provide enough space.

Now, my problem is how to stack them. I would like to have at least 40 cm off floor space so I don't take away space from the colony floor.
-How deep whould dropping trays be?
-Also, how much space should there be in between cages?
-What wire to use? What size?
-How big should the doors be?
-What to use to make the cage rack?

Anyone's advice is welcome. If you have some photos of something similar please do post them. Thanks in advance,
-Marko

EDIT: I acctually decided to go 120(L) x 60(W) x 45(H) just because I can fit them in the colony with an ease.

Hi, Marko!

The cages you found definitely don't give enough space.

Your proposed cages would be (in inches) approximately 19 3/4" x 39 1/2" x 17 3/4", which is a nice amount of space for a bunny, or a doe with babies. :)

For stacking cages, others will jump in and help you with that one, I'm sure. :D

-How deep whould dropping trays be?
How often do you plan to clean them? 2cm (1") will work if cleaned every day - 10cm (3") if less frequently.

-Also, how much space should there be in between cages?
None, they can be side by side. Vertically you just need enough to easily slide the tray in and out.

-What wire to use? What size?
14 gauge, but you can get away with 16 gusge for the top and walls - if they are not load bearing :)

To avoid young kits from squeezing out the bottom 6 to 10cm should be 1cm but for adults you can get away with 2cm x 4cm

-How big should the doors be?
As big as youd like, as long as your nest boxes will go in. Over here the standard is 25cm x 25cm

-What to use to make the cage rack?
Metal

Latest posts

Back