Eye infection treatment??? PLZ HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteader13

Reaction score
Hello my Flemish doe Althea has been struggling with white discharge from one eye although she acts normal and "puts up with me" administering daily eye drops - I've been using Vetericyn ophthalmic gel, putting a blob in her eye and holding it open until she opens the third lid so that it gets all over the eye, when she blinks afterward it comes out. The problem with this is that I've been doing this daily for a month and the eye keeps looking better than a couple days later it's gooey again :( I don't want to bring her to the vet (yet) as we're poor and it would be very stressful for her - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS of treatments I can try that are safe but effective? For example I've heard about chamomile and honey in the eye, or is there a safe antibiotic I can get at the feed store or online? THANK YOU I just want this to go away already! And I'm sure Althea agrees - she's had enough of the eye drops lol...

Your course of action rather depends on the cause of the problem. It could be a simple eye infection, it could be pasteurella, it could be caused by an infected tooth. Is it in both eyes or only one? Both would suggest pasteurella...only one would suggest a bad tooth.

Certainly you can try the chamomile tea with or without honey. You can also use black tea. Just be careful to apply as a compress rather than trying to clean the eye too vigorously.

I suggest isolating this rabbit, just in case it turns out to be pasteurella.

It is just one eye, and she has no other symptoms! The goo is white and sort of jelly and dries on the corner of her eye a little more yellow and hard. However the eye itself looks fine and she doesn't keep it shut or anything. My buck lives next to her and they interact through the wire - he has been absolutely fine the whole duration of her runny eye (over a month) :( Also she is 1.5 years old, and albino if those facts matter...I will do tea daily now, as well as the eye drops - any suggestions otherwise? Or ways of pinpointing the cause? THANKS!

Update: Althea's eye is looking much better with the eye drops and chamomile tea with honey every day <3 I'll look into those other drops, but we are hoping it goes away for good this time! <br /><br /> -- Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:43 pm -- <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":jp2xq49h said:
ciprofloxacin, or tobramycin, eye drops, or make an herbal infusion from barberry root bark, [-one tsp / cup, boil 20 min] and put a few drops in the eye TID

Hey Thanks for these suggestions! Where do you find barberry root bark? Also these two antibiotics you listed, are they available without a prescription? Do they come in the form of eye drops or injection?

homesteader13":2f0ntfoq said:
Update: Althea's eye is looking much better with the eye drops and chamomile tea with honey every day <3 I'll look into those other drops, but we are hoping it goes away for good this time!

-- Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:43 pm --

michaels4gardens":2f0ntfoq said:
ciprofloxacin, or tobramycin, eye drops, or make an herbal infusion from barberry root bark, [-one tsp / cup, boil 20 min] and put a few drops in the eye TID

Hey Thanks for these suggestions! Where do you find barberry root bark? Also these two antibiotics you listed, are they available without a prescription? Do they come in the form of eye drops or injection?

I was speaking of eye drops, -The eye drops were available through Jeffers, or American Vet supply, [probly still are ,but as you know things change] [if getting just one product, - ciprofloxicin is a better choice as it has a broader spectrum of effectiveness ]
Barberry is available through Frontier Herb, or San Francisco Herb, and probly others [if using it for making a tea, be sure to get "cut and sifted" and not powdered. [barberry also is very effective against pinkeye. ] [barberry is prepared as a decoction,[for making eye drops, - boil 3 tsp herb/ cup of water for > 20 min], when done add water to bring to original volume, then boil briefly to sanitize,stirring a little to get the parts stuck to the side of the pan back into the mixture, -then cool the mixture before using.- a small amount of slippery elm inner bark, can be added to the mixture to make a much more soothing eye drop] -store a small amount in a eye drop bottle, in the frig for about a week, store the rest in small containers in the freezer, and take one out when you need it, -but-- toss the refrigerated one after a week, as it will begin to get nasty after that.

I have a doe that's eye is exactly the same way. How do you go about treating it with the chamomile and honey? Do you use a dropper or something?

MaggieJ":zmoc5qm4 said:
Your course of action rather depends on the cause of the problem. It could be a simple eye infection, it could be pasteurella, it could be caused by an infected tooth. Is it in both eyes or only one? Both would suggest pasteurella...only one would suggest a bad tooth.

Certainly you can try the chamomile tea with or without honey. You can also use black tea. Just be careful to apply as a compress rather than trying to clean the eye too vigorously.

I suggest isolating this rabbit, just in case it turns out to be pasteurella.

Latest posts

Back