Looking at showing my rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunsetRidge

Reaction score
If a solid colored rabbit has a few scattered white hairs is that a disqualification? Would you still show the rabbit?

It really depends. I just evaluated an elop litter and several of the blacks had scattered white hairs. I will not put them on the table because there is just too much competition to warrant paying the entry fee on a rabbit with a fault. I also raise rare breeds, Giant Chins and Lilacs. We are lucky if there are 10 on the table. I would pay the entry fee and show them if they were very nice, but have a fault. There is still a chance they could receive a leg even with the fault, and it will help a breeder earn a leg.

Well showed at my first rabbit show. My initial question was about white hairs. The first show there were 4 in the class and he took second. In the second show the judge disqualified him for a white spot. So I asked where and he said on his back??? I graciously took my rabbit and then went and looked and could not find any white spot on his back...there was a white hair that brushed right off. I had the breeder I bought him from look for the white spot and she couldn't find it either. I have since looked and looked for a white spot on his back and have yet to find it. Do I just chalk it up and keep showing him? Also he is starting to molt will he molt out those few white hairs in his tail?

No judge is perfect: On any given day any Rabbit may win or lose,
to another that may be , just a tad better that day. [Or NOT].
Do not take offense or judge the prospect of your Rabbit
on the statements or findings of one judge. If you should get
the exact same findings from three or more Judges, you might want to rethink your
show choices. If you want to know the faults etc of Rabbits, I suggest that you
purchase a copy of "The Standard of Perfection" This is the same book
that ALL of the A.R.B.A. Judges use to judge your Rabbits.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Both judges told me he was a nice rabbit, good head & ears, nice topline, good width all that and he is beginning to molt. They did not have comment cards as I was hoping they would. Being a newbie at this rabbit stuff I need all the help I can get...LOL! Bottom line I really like him and I think he will cross good on my does. :D On a good note I did get him registered! :D

In my area we only have a few shows locally each year so I will put faults on the table to double check my thoughts on type. The numbers at our shows are nothing like shows Stateside and that's another reason I put as much as possible on the table, I like to support our local club as much as possible.

If you got him registered, the registrar must not have seen a DQ either as they are suppose to verify the rabbit fits the standard. OtterSatin gave great advice - never rely solely on one judges remarks unless it's completely obvious. Also carry a pen and notebook to write down what the judge is saying. Few shows around here have remark cards. That may or may not be true for your area. Above all - have a good time!

I'd check up on the Standards of Perfection whether or not stray white hairs are either a fault, or disqualification....generally though, more points are on type than coat for a majority of rabbits. Unless, of course, it's a marked breed like English Spot...Silver Marten...The standard should tell you how much to be concerned about it :)

wildeden-thanks for your reply. I have looked that up and white hairs are a fault and a white spot would be a fault/DQ. I have had three more people look him over and that "white spot" has eluded them also. So going to take him to the next show.

Back