stew recipe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Anyone got a good stew recipe for beef or game meat that preferably can go in a crockpot? I have a ton of venison to use up still so I was going to cube some steaks in to stew meat. I've never found a beef stew I really liked. My mom just throws in mccormick stew packets until it's got enough flavor for her. :lol: I can do that if I have to in order to use up these steaks. Otherwise my 2013 meat is dog food so we can fit a side of bison this year. Josh decided he doesn't like using venison in stuff that much.

I don't usually use a crock pot, so I can't help you with recipes. I've never made a BAD venison stew. It's pretty forgiving. :)

I also suggest stroganoff as another good use for it.

I don't cook stews from recipes - I prefer to wing it - but if you lightly flour the cubed meat and brown it before it goes into the crock pot it should work fine with your choice of vegetables etc. I like to season with black pepper and allspice, a bay leaf, a favourite herb like sage or rosemary. For the liquid you use to deglaze the skillet, a mix of apple juice and water works well. Sometimes I cheat a little and add a beef bouillon sachet, but otherwise I prefer to cook from scratch.

Those all sound good to me, except that I prefer other seasonings to Worcestershire sauce. Just an individual preference. I'm assuming that it is the brown ale that puts you off the second recipe. You could use 50/50 apple juice and water. The advantage of dredging the meat in flour before browning is that the gravy will thicken itself as the stew cooks... but thickening the gravy afterwards also works.

This one sounds pretty good to me too!
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/yl91p2l3/ap ... k-pot.html

Sadly I cannot have apples. An odd food intolerance but I can't digest their sugar combination. Otherwise I would live on apple juice.

I like to deglaze pans with a little wine but grape juice works pretty well too if alcohol isn't an option.

It's the sugars that are the problem. If I remember right, you don't even take onions very well.
You can use anything to deglaze.

I'm a fan of very dry red wines, all the sugars would have been converted to alcohol. Would that render it safe for you?

A dry white wine is suggested and if you are drinking the wine to eat a protein source with it. Some doctors say no alcohol at all. Apparently alcohol is doubly bad when you can't digest certain sugars. The excess fructose can scar your liver in much the same way as the action of the alcohol itself. My ancestors may have survived because my entire family hates the taste of alcohol. Or... we all hate the taste of alcohol because the only people who stayed healthy enough to reproduce didn't drink. :p:

Simple, buy unbelievably tasty: meat, a pack of dry onion soup mix and a can of golden mushroom soup. You can add a touch of water, but not much. Let that cook, and add veggies later. It is really good.

Josh refuses to touch anything that says mushroom but it may be more the idea of mushrooms. He might not notice if I don't tell him how I made it.

I despise, loathe and abhor mushrooms...but I love this recipe. Maybe he might like it. There are very few mushroom "pieces".

It's not a direct answer to your question, but if you have a meat grinder, you can add some ground venison to hamburger. We use about 1/2 venison and 1/2 ground brisket. The brisket adds enough fat so the meat doesn't get too crumbly.

Speaking of which, we still have 2 deer from last year to eat. I better get on it.

I want a meat grinder. To get more ground venison I had to run round steaks through my magic bullet 1/2 at a time.

Latest posts

Back