AR madness is real and it's closer to you than you realize

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Hello, I'm back to post a chat I just had with a fellow who came by for some fish. He used to live in my county and he had one heck of a horror story to tell me about his personal living heck he had with a crazed animal rights woman.

Most of you, like I used to think, believe that AR madness won't come to your door. "It only happens to other people" or "It's not as bad as they say, they must be exaggerating." Well, that's total crud and now I know it's the truth.

This man had a large and very well kept farm, 18 perfectly spoiled horses, barn cats, dogs, fish in a pond and some birds. He innocently went to work one day, just like most of us do, to only to come home and find wires had been cut and nearly all of his animals were gone!

A woman from an animal rescue in my State had decided to show up and illegally trespass and steal all of his animals. She pressed charges against him that she made up, used a picture cropped to one single over grown hoof of a horse this man had never even owned. He had to pay 25k to try and fight her in court. He had his two farriers and large animal and small animal veterinarians fight and support him. She killed half of his animals soon after she stole them, before she even had legal custody of them, she sued him after his cat got sick after a week in her care and then used an AR vet to say the cat had to be killed because of a small upper respiratory issue. She sued him for 80k for the supposed rehabilitation of the horses and dogs. She forced the judge to switch with another judge known to work with the AR and steal animals. He had to file for bankruptcy after she later tried to sue him again for another 25k and she even came back to harass him three years later!

He had a chain gate at the start of his half mile long private driveway, closed gates and paths, No trespassing signs posted everywhere and hot wire fencing. She ignored everything, she cut wires and locks. She left zero notice that there even was a problem. She made up complete lies about all the animals and when the first judge realized her crud, she forced him to step off the case and the residential AR judge came up and ignored the truth and evidence and gave her everything she asked for.

This woman sends her staff to spy randomly at people's houses and farms, they search Craigslist ads and lie to get into people's homes or property just to make up false cruelty charges or to make deals to give up custody of one animal just so you can keep the other one. She brings dog food to trailer park residence during the holidays and brings toys to their kids and then demands the dogs live indoors and never left outside on chains or she comes back and steals them. They go to auctions and get information about people with good intentions, she gets huge donations by the large farms in the area and has people come to her if you fight with your neighbor to then take their animals in revenge fashion.

I couldn't believe it. It really does sound like something from a movie, how can people get away with this pure evil? How can the court allow it, how is there no help for these people who are screwed over for having a healthy and well cared for pet? And it's going on right here, in my own town! I'm using the word "steal" not because I'm trying to over sell it, but because it's the truth.

I'm now saving up money for a security system with real cameras and a recording system. Clearly, nothing else stops them, they get away with illegal activity and no one stops them!

If you don't already have a 100% closed farm or rabbitry, have one now. It's not bad enough that they steal all your animals, but then they even take your money and bankrupt you. Loosing a couple sales because of a closed farm policy is nothing compared to loosing everything, your house, ruining your life.

I cannot believe this goes on. I wish we could form some kind of assistance program for people who gets scammed like this. Or a network where known AR insanity goes on, the people behind it and the 'rescues' who do this will be well known and easy to access.

Good luck everyone. Can only hope no one else falls victim to this madness.

That's.... Amazing. Truly amazing. I'm just amazed by how stupid this woman has to be.

'Hey I stole your animals, now give me money to care for them'. What the heck?

I'm so so sorry for your friend. This post made me sick. I cannot believe people like that exist.

Being as I share your state, Secuono, this hits close to home. I know some people here may think I overreact, but if a trespasser gets past my 4 wheel drive only driveway, my locked gate and my dogs, they will be met with an armed response. Our sheriff told my husband, as they were talking about the rise in recent burglaries/attacks by people looking for drugs, "I only want to hear one story when I get there." To me, a trespasser without a good reason to be there is just looking for trouble.

Someone called the SPCA on me last month , no idea who tho I assume it was a neighbor who doesn't like my rabbits , dogs , cat or fish in the backyard pond .... I had been away for a month & had left them in the care of my wife and kids.

The person responsible had told them I neglected my animals , they were unfed , didn't have water and lacked shelter .... all of which are lies.

The SPCA representative came and inspected my animals and promptly closed the case without a single complaint.

That didn't stop my wife from being stressed out because of it all. Nor did I sleep well waiting for the report on his findings ..... None of us wants to deal with those people no matter how well we care for our animals.

I really wish I knew which jackass told them those lies ..... I'd give them a piece of my mind.

Marinea":fbgccvq6 said:
Being as I share your state, Secuono, this hits close to home. I know some people here may think I overreact, but if a trespasser gets past my 4 wheel drive only driveway, my locked gate and my dogs, they will be met with an armed response. Our sheriff told my husband, as they were talking about the rise in recent burglaries/attacks by people looking for drugs, "I only want to hear one story when I get there." To me, a trespasser without a good reason to be there is just looking for trouble.

Yes, same here. We have an easement, but it is never used and I know the only two people who have the right to use it. We meet everyone that shows up without an appointment with a gun on hip or riffle in hand. My 2015 lambs will buy a camera security system next year. Maybe then this type of thing will not happen? When there is video proof of them trespassing, stealing and condition of animals on tape. Can only hope. Maybe game cameras will work for others who can't afford video. I hate hearing about these things happening to people, really kills your trust in people...

I bought and posted no trespassing signs today, I feel highly unsocial now, but those signs work on me when I'm out n about, then again, I'm normal, so it might not work on AR, but at least the signs are there in a 'just n case' type of thing.

I've read that here there is a new scam going on, where people ask to use the phone because of an accident or they are lost. One person distracts the home owner, the other steals things from your home!

Just awful. The distract and grab isn't new around here, if you don't watch they take pictures and come back later. Technically speaking, any picture can be taken from a public road or in a public place without your consent or at least here (your in free sight and in a public place where you are going to be seen is what I am told local cops when I questioned this when traffic of odd vehicles started piling up and I was constantly almost hitting one of them stopped taking pictures of who only knows what, probably deer in field but the field is right next to neighbor's house). Security cameras are no guarantee, faces or some undeniable marking must be clearly visible to do any good...been down that road on vehicle issue. Game cameras, least the ones I've had, do not show faces clear enough for a conviction. It is crazy what a criminal or extremist can get away with while innocent and do right people suffer.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":1tcu05cw said:
Just awful. The distract and grab isn't new around here, if you don't watch they take pictures and come back later. Technically speaking, any picture can be taken from a public road or in a public place without your consent or at least here (your in free sight and in a public place where you are going to be seen is what I am told local cops when I questioned this when traffic of odd vehicles started piling up and I was constantly almost hitting one of them stopped taking pictures of who only knows what, probably deer in field but the field is right next to neighbor's house). Security cameras are no guarantee, faces or some undeniable marking must be clearly visible to do any good...been down that road on vehicle issue. Game cameras, least the ones I've had, do not show faces clear enough for a conviction. It is crazy what a criminal or extremist can get away with while innocent and do right people suffer.

Yes, from the road or the air, you can take w/e pictures you want.
There's no reason to half-*ss it and get cheap and poor quality security cameras. There's only one way in and out here, all within a small distance. Most cameras would be able to get very good video. Unless they go through the woods or neighbors pastures and over fencing, but that's a great way to have a dog rip you to shreds or the property owner to shoot you.
The stupid things crazy people do. :/

I paid over 500 for one camera trying to catch that individual, footage of the thief with a face shot but the quality was not clear enough for a conviction in court. I really don't think that's cheap or halfing it. The quality of the vid was great as far as picture goes, not sure how person could get better. It was setup and installed by regular security distributer that should have been fine. It was much better than the ones have seen in stores or I've seen others get nailed with. Maybe it was some thing else as well that the individual didn't get any thing out of it. I guess it would depend on the area too, as said. There's plenty of woods and tall grasses in what meadows are near, so isn't impossible not to be seen. There's plenty to discourage, but that individual was determined at that time. Other issues that person had did them in and got them on other charges thankfully finally. Its sad that it has to be that hard to get the right thing done though.

The game camera we originally tried to catch the person with wasn't a cheap one either, about 300 and was a good a shot picture wise as my 18MP camera shots. But the pictures we got were blurred from it even though there was no denying it was that person. That's when we ordered the other and it didn't cut it. Just one of those things, I guess it should've been enough for at least repairs to the vehicles be paid for by the person but like said they got off in court.

This makes me :sick: to my stomach. I want to :cry: and :weep:. people are so stupid. It's like, when the animals are obviously treated well and taken care of, leave us be. If the animals are obviously neglected, THEN we have a problem

In my case its just a nosey neighbor who doesn't like the fact that I have rabbits , they called the health department on me last year but since I have a waste catch system in place that allows for easy removal of waste .... the inspector laughed at the complaint.

I wonder what their next attempt to make me get rid of them will be ?!

Unless it's a business according to VA State Law

Upon obtaining a warrant as provided for in § 3.2-6568, the law-enforcement officer, animal control officer, State Veterinarian's representative, or humane investigator may enter upon any other premises where the animal or animals described in the complaint are housed or kept. Attorneys for the Commonwealth and law-enforcement officials shall provide such assistance as may be required in the conduct of such investigations.

Seems once you have violated that things should be over.

ckcs":2311e9ub said:
Unless it's a business according to VA State Law

Upon obtaining a warrant as provided for in § 3.2-6568, the law-enforcement officer, animal control officer, State Veterinarian's representative, or humane investigator may enter upon any other premises where the animal or animals described in the complaint are housed or kept. Attorneys for the Commonwealth and law-enforcement officials shall provide such assistance as may be required in the conduct of such investigations.

Seems once you have violated that things should be over.

Sure .... it should be over but while you beat the rap , you still take the ride.

michaels4gardens":32fg0ahi said:
the problem is-- even though we usually win in court, the "due process" usually bankrupts us. -- Been there, done that...

And the problem is we're fighting with our money. The AR folks are using money from rich donors, various foundations, and donations gathered on TV - you know the ones. They show all the sad puppies and kittens and talk about giving money to your local shelter. Once the money is collected, only a pittance (if any) goes to the local shelter.

There was a day in this country when right was right and wrong was wrong and common sense prevailed. And people minded their own business! :evil:

SuburbanHomesteader":1l495esm said:
michaels4gardens":1l495esm said:
the problem is-- even though we usually win in court, the "due process" usually bankrupts us. -- Been there, done that...

And the problem is we're fighting with our money. The AR folks are using money from rich donors, various foundations, and donations gathered on TV - you know the ones. They show all the sad puppies and kittens and talk about giving money to your local shelter. Once the money is collected, only a pittance (if any) goes to the local shelter.

There was a day in this country when right was right and wrong was wrong and common sense prevailed. And people minded their own business! :evil:

This can not continue much longer, every society that has come to this situation has failed, [large Gov. and legal systems,with crimes against the Gov., constant wars to maintain an ever increasing power base, massive "welfare type" handouts supposedly paid for by the workers, ] -these things have toppled them all, -- "buckle your seat belt Dorothy, Kansas is going bye-bye" :)

michaels4gardens":kgll1zvs said:
-- "buckle your seat belt Dorothy, Kansas is going bye-bye" :)

So, ummm, like, you're saying that I should get ready for the "change" part of "Hope and Change"?

Sadly, I've pretty much given up hope for the Republic. Talking with my sister's kids - both recent college grads -
has pretty much convinced me that we've seen our best days and that "Liberty and Justice for All" is wishful thinking.

Back