Diarrhea with normal cecotropes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3309

Reaction score
Having terrible luck with GI problems lately...

I have a rabbit that was fine and until two days ago, I noticed a poopy bottom and I took her out of her cage to wash up the bum. I carefully placed her in the bathtub and prepared a wet towel to wipe her down.
That's when I noticed normal cecotropes on the tub, I lifted her up to check again and a couple more plopped out!

The strange part is some of cecotropes has a little white mucus-like substance on it and the rabbit appears to be in good health, still eating, and drinking. (Does not look like a worm but a very thin film of mucus)

I added a bene-bac treatment to her greens and some on the oats, I see clumps of runny poop in her cage afterwards, hoping it's nothing major?

I'd be worried. :(

I've never seen exactly what you describe but diarrhea is never a normal sign and should be addressed promptly. How old is the rabbit? More information about age, diet etc. would help us help you.

Mucous on the stools can be a sign of mucoid enteritis. Google it and learn about it. It's not something I know a lot about, since rabbits on a natural diet very rarely have this problem.

There are plants you can feed to a rabbit with GI problems of any sort. They are safe and effective for diarrhea. They are not cure-alls, but they can definitely help:

- the leaves of raspberry, blackberry and strawberry plants
- the lawn weeds shepherd's purse and common plantain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to see where I can obtain raspberry leaves. I was posting in a hurry while I was free at work, the age of the bunny is just over 3 months. (DOB 5/15/14) She's a mini-lop
She's being fed timothy hay and pellet supplements, now I'm cutting off the pellets and slowly introducing it back on top of the rolled oats. Offered favorite treats and started nibbling on it right away, the poops still look solid but are clumped together like the edible cecotropes. Will see if I can get good picture of the droppings tomorrow morning.

The go to food where the bunny will usually start eating are parsley and bananas, I serve small portions to see if she's still eating.

Wabbitjack":1sx6rd7o said:
the poops still look solid but are clumped together like the edible cecotropes.

My buns get this sometimes when I go a little overboard on adding richness to their diet- too many greens or treats. I think you will see improvement by cutting back to hay and oats.

*fingers crossed*

I always worry when I see runny poop, the herbs mentioned above are very good, -- I am always a little paranoid about coccidiosis [as I have seen big losses, and I feed a lot of weeds with dirt on the roots] I always feed some mountain sage and garlic chives or garlic, or onion tops, for a few days, as even a little irritation from cocci can open the door to enteritis

Latest posts

Back