Wool feeding, think we need a change

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwind

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of great reviews of MannaPro products, but looking through their website to see who locally carries it, I've found three so far that actually *don't* and I'm still hunting. I did find a shop (where we get our hay and bedding already) who carries Nutrena, but I can't find a lot of reviews on it, and that includes searching here?

For quite some time we've been feeding the Kaytee supreme and supplementing with greens and BOSS, along with their hay, but the pellets are really not worth the cost and it's not that impressive either.

Our satin had GI problems last winter, and we coaxed him back - it was close, and we were lucky. Still, he was young enough I didn't know how his coat would be quite yet, and it's never seemed to do quite well since. He's just starting a new coat now, in spots, but his prior coat is not releasing well in patches - the poor guy looks a bit of a mess. We'd sheared him partway in the summer as his coat was just not releasing for anything even in the warmer temps, and his flanks are showing bald patches where I'd cut some mats free of the skirting last week... he's comfy, so that's good, but it really does look hilarious.

Still, I'm looking for better feed *again* in hopes that I'll find another resource or a shop has changed their stock. I don't know how much of the feed is creating a coat problem, at this point, and I'm really hoping someone here has ideas for either situation (or both).

(Current buns: our problematic but gorgeous satin, 50/50 english/french (she molts almost continually and is VERY dense, so her coat is good but messy) and a young lionhead intended for 4H if we can get started by this fall)

the problem with Nutrena, is the same as the problem Purina, and quite a few others, [except Blue Seal, and a few others]
1- there is not a "dedicated formula" [ so ingredients change from batch to batch depending on what is cheep that month.]
2 - The feed is made by independent mills around the country [so feed quality , and composition ,varies from place to place , so- depending where you live, this could be good or it could be bad ]
3 - It does not solve the problem of 'Old Feed" you still need to shop for a supplier who will not over-stock , and then sell you their old, moldy, bug infested feed. [bad feed is still the leading cause of all "troubles" in Rabbits. - you need to check the date on feed and refuse to buy the old feed.]

I actually have a bag of both Nutrena and the Manna Pro.

I bought a 40lb bag of 18% Nutrena. My buns had a difficult time transitioning to it, and by difficult, they just left pellets in the bowl by the end of the day when they normally had finished all their feed. I give 1/2 cup each per day and they have fresh hay available at all times. The feed store I bought it from actually only keeps about 5 bags on hand every week so it's very fresh and I got it the day after their delivery. It's nice and green and smells like alfalfa. My rabbits now eat it well and there's no spilled feed at the end of the day (took about 2 weeks to adjust to the new feed). There's some questionable ingredients in it tho. I just threw the empty bag away, so can't post ingredients, but I would probably buy again and they have a buy 9 get 1 free program!

The Manna Pro, I purchased when my rabbits weren't eating the Nutrena very well and I had heard good things about it. The place I bought it from, a farm feed store, buys in large pallets, 50 bags per pallet and I don't live in a place that has a ton of rabbits around. It's a 50lb bag, so might be good for people with lots of rabbits. It smells like oats or some chemical and when I gave to my buns, they turned over the bowl! Even when it was mixed with the Nutrena! I didn't like the way it smells and have been trying to give it away with no luck!

I vote for the Nutrena as my rabbits have been doing well with it. They're too young for me to know how it will perform with them with kindling and kits, but I can keep you updated. I only have 2 rabbits…so far. :mrgreen:

sungura,
If you only have a few rabbits, you can lengthen the nutritional life value of your feed by packing it in smaller ten or twenty pound bags and storing it in your freezer. taking the bags out only as you need them. Feed looses it's nutritional value within three months.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks for the info otter satin. However one of my buns is part Flemish. She's eating like crazy! I go through about 10 lbs of pellets a week for both rabbits. So I think we'll be ok. I keep feed in a air right container as well. Gotten through half the bag in 3 weeks, besides, I have no freezer space. Definitely not enough for 30 lbs of feed! Lol

If I'm not mistaken, feeding a little too much BOSS can cause a rabbit to blow coat. Maybe you could try this on purpose, to get the rest of the fur to release?

I don't know what "too much" is, though.

Nutrena isn't too bad. We've used it when other stuff isn't available. It's definitely an improvement over most pet store stuff and they have smaller bags for those that just own a few pet rabbits. I would prefer manna pro and when manna pro wasn't regularly stocked we used kent. Never had a problem on kent. It just is only available at small kent feed stores in towns we don't go to anymore.

It's a good thing to keep in mind too that your satin angora bucks molting pattern may also just be a result of breeding. There a numerous breeders out there who breed French, English, and satin angoras so that they do not molt. This helps ensure they don't loose hair in between growing in a new coat, and usually gives a denser coat for the show table. He may just be a result of a breeder trying to breed for that but not quite having got there.

As far as feed, I can't help you with the smaller quantities, but my angoras get free access to hay, along wih free fed 17% Modesto Mills organic pellets. They're lower protein, but they are soy and corn free, and I've actually been noticing my herd eating less on them and maintaining better weights (including nursing does) than when the herd was on manna pro 18% which does contain soy. It's harder to find and a fair bit more expensive, but considering how little a few bunnies will go through compared to my current 18, it may be worth the expense if you don't get any trouble on it.

Another thing I like to do to help is each angora gets 4 papaya enzyme tablets twice a week. These help out their digestive system as they contain an enzyme which aids digestion. It seems to help my woolers stay 'regular', and as far as they're concerned, it's just another awesome treat. I even have a doe who flicks water at me if she doesn't get hers first. I wouldn't give it close to kindling if your breeding though, it can also be a blood thinner and cause the doe to bleed excessively.

Back