"thundershirt" for rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC Belgians

Reaction score
I am still sitting on the fence with the tattooing. To feel more prepared, I purchased some topical anesthetic cream and a "thundershirt" intended for cats. I want to make sure that we have a really good grip on the rabbit when this happens.

Its been really hot here in British Columbia (Canada) and lo and behold my senior doe became afflicted with a case of GI stasis yesterday. This doe is extremely difficult to handle and I felt very discouraged to handle her to the extent that is required to administer all the treatments needed to give her the best chance of pulling out of this.

SC fluids went fine, but it was impossible to medicate her orally (Cisapride) or begin force feeding. So ... on goes the new "thundershirt" and it worked like a charm :p The constriction of the shirt sort of paralyses the animal. They are not entirely immobilized, but what a difference!

Zass":2usvnhl7 said:
The thundershirt is a pretty interesting idea...
It is kind of a neat but I don't see how it will help with restraint of the animal. :no:
Thundershirt-Giveaway-on-Floppycats.jpg

Good luck with the bun BC.

My previous attempts to use the "Bunny Burrito" ended in failure (thank you for the link, however. The picture instructions are great), possibly due to the Belgian Hare's long front legs. The hares don't like to crouch into a ball like other rabbits and are, therefore, extremely hard to wrap up with those long legs.

With this "thundershirt" the rabbit seems to panic less about the restraint, because they are essentially still free, but it does inhibit a lot of the movement and subsequent struggling/fighting.

The "thundershirt" would not be my recommendation when complete immobilization is requires, like taking a blood sample, but it might make oral medication, worming, nail clipping easier.

How do you give injections once the rabbit is in the Bunny Burrito and only its head sticks out? I found that no restraint is necessary for SC injections, but have not needed to give injections intramuscular. Do they not go into the large muscles of the hind leg?

I'll take a photo of my doe in the "thundershirt". <br /><br /> -- Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:22 am -- <br /><br />
Homer":2v0pjooe said:
Zass":2v0pjooe said:
The thundershirt is a pretty interesting idea...
It is kind of a neat but I don't see how it will help with restraint of the animal. :no:

The photo of the cat is all wrong. In reality, a cat in the shirt falls over. I put it on all my cats first, before putting it on my doe. The rabbits just crouch with the shirt on and in general fight much less than they would restraint without the shirt. You have to see it to believe it.

Ideally, I should take a video, but I am not a "thundershirt" sales person and I am not trying to convince anyone to use it. All I can say it that without the shirt my doe would be dead now. Bunny Burritos don't work for everyone, and likewise, this shirt isn't going to be for everyone.

BC Belgians":2ynhnufc said:
...How do you give injections once the rabbit is in the Bunny Burrito and only its head sticks out? I found that no restraint is necessary for SC injections, but have not needed to give injections intramuscular. Do they not go into the large muscles of the hind leg?

I'll take a photo of my doe in the "thundershirt".
I am giving SC injection. I just loosen the wrap "a little" so I can get to the nap of their neck. It stays tight around their shoulders and front legs.They are 10 week old "balls-of-fire" and you have no chance if not restrained. Looking forward to your picture. :camera:
Ideally, I should take a video,
A video would be great! :up:
... I am not a "thundershirt" sales person and I am not trying to convince anyone to use it. ...
Yes but have you "ever stayed at a Holiday Inn"? :p :laugh2:

This looks just like the anxiety vest a friend uses on her rescue min-pin. It keeps him calm...works on the same principle as a compression vest for autistic kids. We used a compression vest on my autistic grandson it helped calm him and derailed melt downs.

katiebear":y6yrd0uw said:
This looks just like the anxiety vest a friend uses on her rescue min-pin. It keeps him calm...works on the same principle as a compression vest for autistic kids. We used a compression vest on my autistic grandson it helped calm him and derailed melt downs.

Yes! I think you are right in that this "shirt" mimics a compression vest for humans. It is supposed to give "steady proprioceptive input" or body awareness. I think the cat, dog, or rabbit is very preoccupied feeling the steady pressure around its body, which takes its mind of other things. So, it doesn't actually restrain the body as much as it restrains the mind?

Yes, it works on the same principle as the ones designed for people. Temple Grandin, who also has autism, discovered that she felt less anxious when she was surrounded by firm pressure. I don't know if she was the first to do so, but now their use is widespread.

BC Belgians":1vpzps49 said:
it doesn't actually restrain the body as much as it restrains the mind?

Maybe it inhibits the release of adrenaline, or stimulates endorphins like when you "twitch" a horse. :?

BC Belgians":1vpzps49 said:
In reality, a cat in the shirt falls over.

Our cats will do that if we put a WeatherBeeta dog blanket on them! :lol:

Homer":1onrcoc6 said:
BC Belgians":1onrcoc6 said:
... I am not a "thundershirt" sales person and I am not trying to convince anyone to use it. ...
Yes but have you "ever stayed at a Holiday Inn"? :p :laugh2:
:rotfl:

MamaSheepdog":1onrcoc6 said:
Yes, it works on the same principle as the ones designed for people. Temple Grandin, who also has autism, discovered that she felt less anxious when she was surrounded by firm pressure. I don't know if she was the first to do so, but now their use is widespread.
We attended a funeral, and our daughter (both of our kids are Aspies) went into overload. She felt like she was suffocating from the weight of the mood of the room. Thankfully, she had brought a jacket in with her in case it was cold in the church. She wrapped herself up very tightly in it, even though it wasn't very cool in the church. It helped her feel safe, and keep from flying apart from stress. She loves heavy blankets... I know she would have loved a weighted blanket if we could have gotten one when she was little.

I can see how something nice and tight like that might help a bunny! :)

Back