If you crossed a Flemish Giant to a 5 lb Mini Rex . . .

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
would you get large kits that grew faster? Would it be a good cross for meat? Just curious, I have thought about possibly getting a meat doe and breeding her to my 5 lb pet Mini Rex buck, but I want a doe large enough so that her size carries over to the kits and the buck's fast growing genes carries over to the kits.

I feel a big lanky doe crossed to a tight compact meat-brick buck makes for a good terminal cross. Flemish does can carry a lot of kits, and are known to have great milk supply.

I'd be willing to bet that you would get meaty kits with good growth and a very average bone structure.

and I know I'd be interested in what the dress out would be, because it is still possible that they would have finer bones.

Don't know until you try? Post the results for the rest of us? :D

The colors could be fun, and rex crosses often make nice pelts. Not sure if mini rex are the same.

A big new zealand doe would probably be a good choice too.

If I find a Flemish doe I like and try this mating I will definitely post the results.

Going to the fair next week to show my rabbits and if I run across a Flemish doe for sale, I might pick it up.

Yes, I was considering New Zealand because there are tons around here. My MR is a seal, possibly black. He reminds me more of a Rex than a MR, because he is built more like the Rex and his ears are WAY to long for a MR.

Now I'm so excited! I hope someone has a Flemish or at least a NZ doe for sale.

I have Flemish Giants crossed on Dutch Doe rabbit. They are no larger than 4 to 5 pounds. I bred brother sister and they are slow growing I will give them two more weeks then butcher. They will be 10 weeks old then hopefully I remember to weight before and after butcher.

If the MR does not carry the dwarf gene, and even without it small gets passed on. Actually, from my experience, size and fast growth will be the first to go and hardest to get back.

Thanks, he doesn't carry the dwarf gene, maybe if I can find a doe and a buck for my meat I will do it, although I would still like to try the MR to a meat doe just for a fun experiment, because I'm curious about it.

I bred a Rex buck ~8.5lbs to a Cali/Altex doe ~10lbs and got ..... Rabbitzilla. They grew extremely fast and the one doe I kept from the pairing dwarfs both parents , she's ~13lbs and has a fantastic blue coat with a real solid build.

Originally I made the pairing with the idea of improving the shoulders of my Rex herd while adding black & blue to the palette.

I have yet to get a litter out of the doe I kept because she didn't take on the first breeding attempt and then I was away from home for 30 days in June & July and will be gone again in the next few days for between 30-90 days. I'm trying to leave as few rabbits for my wife & son to care for as possible ..... they didn't do real well the first time around .... so leaving a pregnant doe is out of the question.
I've been itching to see the results for 6 months now .... have to put it off a little longer.

1010373_854588411224929_9209498496229000867_n.jpg

Ramjet":24id9vr0 said:
I bred a Rex buck ~8.5lbs to a Cali/Altex doe ~10lbs and got ..... Rabbitzilla. They grew extremely fast and the one doe I kept from the pairing dwarfs both parents , she's ~13lbs and has a fantastic blue coat with a real solid build.

Originally I made the pairing with the idea of improving the shoulders of my Rex herd while adding black & blue to the palette.

I have yet to get a litter out of the doe I kept because she didn't take on the first breeding attempt and then I was away from home for 30 days in June & July and will be gone again in the next few days for between 30-90 days. I'm trying to leave as few rabbits for my wife & son to care for as possible ..... they didn't do real well the first time around .... so leaving a pregnant doe is out of the question.
I've been itching to see the results for 6 months now .... have to put it off a little longer.

1010373_854588411224929_9209498496229000867_n.jpg

Ooooh . . . I want. She is gorgeous!

bred a Rex buck ~8.5lbs to a Cali/Altex doe ~10lbs and got ..... Rabbitzilla. They grew extremely fast and the one doe I kept from the pairing dwarfs both parents , she's ~13lbs and has a fantastic blue coat with a real solid build.

Ramjet, that is a stunning example of hybrid vigor!!! It's a shame it can be so hit-or-miss. Sometimes we stumble upon great crosses like that just by trying things out, and sometimes combinations that are supposed to be wonderful don't always work out in practice.

The quality of your stock, and the quality of care you provide is pretty evident. :D

Zass":2nya3klg said:
Ramjet, that is a stunning example of hybrid vigor!!! It's a shame it can be so hit-or-miss. Sometimes we stumble upon great crosses like that just by trying things out, and sometimes combinations that are supposed to be wonderful don't always work out in practice.

The quality of your stock, and the quality of care you provide is pretty evident. :D

Definitely didn't expect the results from the pairing .... She's an amazing critter. 1/2 Rex , 1/4 Cali , 1/4 Altex.

Altex are suppose to be very good terminal sires , should have been a generation earlier that produced the best results.

I just hope that her offspring that show Rex fur don't also have a lot of stray guard hairs or I'll have more work to do. From the initial results , improving the shoulder is a success.

I cant take too much credit , she's the result of rabbits I acquired .... from OAF and another breeder. All I do is feed & water them .... and occasionally pull the handle on the slot machine. :cool:

Stray guard hairs are a usual Rex problem, so if you find it a reoccurring thing, don't give it up. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 am __________ <br /><br />
MR_ND":2t35ik8q said:
Thanks, he doesn't carry the dwarf gene, maybe if I can find a doe and a buck for my meat I will do it, although I would still like to try the MR to a meat doe just for a fun experiment, because I'm curious about it.

Well, the are all edible, no matter what the size right?

I bred the Angora buck to the Cal doe last night, to see what else he carries, this should prove interesting. His kits in the SF cross are much larger than any Sf I've had at that age, the FA grow faster than anything here.

Back