What color would you call this?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it is a Gold Tipped Steel as it has a few siblings that are, but it seems to change in different light settings... it is a meat mutt that is about 8 1/2 weeks. I have another litter that is closely related and the GTS in that litter are obvious that's what they are... this one seems lighter.

First picture is inside with a flash
color id01.JPG
Second is outside with a flash
color id02.jpeg
Third is outside natural light
color id03.jpeg

It might be a steel that is mostly black. There is a ton of variety possible with steel. I'll be honest, I cannot be 100% from the pics.
It is also possible for black hair to be sun scorched or urine stained.

Here are two steels from the same litter to show some of the variation, the mostly black kit didn't show me his color until about 8 weeks old. The heavily marked kit was a visible steel at a few days old.

image.php

image.php

And of course, some steels never show any tipping at all and just pretend to be blacks forever :roll:

yea... I thought I originally had blacks and chestnuts when the litter was still in the nest box, it wasn't till they were about 6 weeks old that I noticed the blacks were not staying black! I like the steels though so it's good :D and they are all destined for freezer camp anyhow, but I like to know what I'm looking at ;)

Latest posts

Back