Is it possible to train a pet rabbit to only

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
do her business during her outdoor exercise time? It would be wonderful if she would only pee outdoors on soil. I don't mind cleaning up dried poop but pee stinks and messy.

no its not, they excrete too often during the day for anyone to be that on top... most of my does pee when i approach their cages anyway, I'm not sure they would understand if i hurriedly put them on the ground, waited till they went, then put them back... Just litterbox train, or have wire with a tray that you can clean and empty daily

:lol: You are making a very FUNNY joke!
Rabbit can aften be trained to a litter-box,
but they would have to have total access to it at all times.
Placing a rabbit on the ground/dirt allows all sort of Beasties
access to the rabbit which is apt to lead to all sorts of infections.
Rabbits are much safer when housed in a proper cage which will
insure their safety and health. If you are able to train a rabbit to [hold]
relieve itself only in a particular spot ALWAYS, Please let us know
how you achieved it!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Carnivores like cats and dogs only need to eat and poop about 6-7times a week on a good diet.

Herbivores that graze or browse need to eat and poop every few minutes and can wait a couple hours but that's it. They have a long digestive tract and need a lot of fiber that doesn't all get digested. The large, frequent, amounts of undigestible material needed to keep their GI tract moving means it comes out all the time. They are not dogs or cats.

Some can be trained to use a box. Getting them to pee in it is easier than poop. Some just don't seem to get the concept. Basics are to set up a litter box with absorbent bedding and hang hay over/in it. They tend to pee and poop the most while browsing on hay. Put the litter box in a corner already being used by the rabbit as a toilet. You can find troubleshooting and more tips if you search around online.

It would be really nice to be able to train they to void their bladders on cue. I really hate being peed on even if people said it's a sign of affection.

Some rabbits pee when out and some rabbits just don't. It seems the more active and braver ones are more likely to pee. The ones that sit calmly next to me waiting to see what happens or to go back to their cage do not pee. There are exceptions like Kishou isn't real active but will hop away from you a little and then pee on furniture, blankets, etc... Kido used to run all over the place but he never peed. Generally though my ones who are not nervous and are bouncing all over will pee on stuff while they are at it and leave more droppings about.

Y'all are being silly! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway, I've read that rabbits get so little warning when they need to pee, that it's a good idea to have more than one litterbox in the house, just to make sure the bun can make it. :)

Ours has decidded the kids toy room is a good place to potty even gho her cage is 10 ft away. Im thinking of putting a litter box in there to hopefully deter her from peeing and pooping where she wants. She is litter trained and thats the only place other then her box she goes.

Hattie":itf9dtzn said:
Ours has decidded the kids toy room is a good place to potty even gho her cage is 10 ft away. Im thinking of putting a litter box in there to hopefully deter her from peeing and pooping where she wants. She is litter trained and thats the only place other then her box she goes.
That's what I would do... little rabbit idiosyncrasy there, but hopefully an easy solution. :roll:

Hattie":101uhkoq said:

Yes, try an additional box. (It's also done in dog training.)
Your bun is trying to tell you by peeing in another spot-- it's another safe and better place.

She also may be trying to tell you to clean her litter box more frequently. Particularly if there are issues with sore hocks (ie wire floors, minirex, astrex genes) Experiment with an additional box and/or different locations.

All of my rabbits, over 16 years, have been litter box trained on aspen chips. Which I change several times a day (they live in the house)
A frequent look at the litter box also, importantly, tells you how your rabbit is doing health wise.

For Jukie rabbit, I had to give her more light so she could see the box at night.
Also...just like a child....when they get cold, they pee!

and maybe sometimes, they are laughing at us! :lol:
When I first started out, my vet told me...."you have to tune into a rabbit" it was great advice. They tell you what they need.

Back