New litter, will it be to cold?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proper2

Reaction score
I am about to have a new litter of NW, they are outside in a good made nest box, but we will have about minus 9celcius now, will it be to cold for them?schould i take the box in or what do you guys suggest
Thanks in advance

Some may suggest you take it in. The problem with that is are you going to be around when she has them, and how much trouble will you have getting them readjusted to the cold when they get older? My rabbits are in a shed. It is not heated, but I don't have to worry about wind. One of my does had babies last night (it was -18C). They were fine, but I used heaters under the nest (see "The Nestbox" thread under "Rabbit Ramblings" for a cheap easy way to make heaters and how to use them) These might be dangerous outside, and they wouldn't work where wind would carry the heat away.

Is the nest box like a box with an entrance hole or is it the usual open style? My rabbits have successfully kindled this winter in an unheated but partly insulated shed and even the litter of two made it through the extreme cold snap we had (Minus 28 C.). However, the nest tunnel is enclosed except for an entrance at one end and the doe made an exceptionally good nest and also plugged the entrance with hay. We debated about bringing the litter in, but the doe resents interference so we decided to leave well enough alone. Sometimes it is hard to know what is best.

as long as she builds a good nest, the kits should be just fine. Mine are outside 24/7. I rarely lose kits in the box...only if they get dragged out. and in the winter, I hold back on doing nest box changes. I only do them if I HAVE to (as that's when kits will pop out).

Pearl had her litter at -3* Celcius (had to convert... it was 27* Fahrenheit), and they all survived and are doing well at ~5 days old now! :) Just be ready with extra insulating material in case the doe doesn't pull enough fur at first.

Latest posts

Back