Explaining Pasturella

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
had a couple come by tonight with three rabbits they wanted me to help them rehome.

one ND, two HL's.

Sent two home again, testing out the third. Will be understrict isolation until I see what's what. The third looked and sounded good. Seems a fairly sturdy animal.

The ND...HUGE sneezer of white snot. Just ick.
The one HL... had one tiny spot of snot after I let her sit for a good five-ten minutes. THEY were itching to go, but I deliberately took my time looking these rabbits over very carefully.

I took my time explaining to them what white snot usually means...pasturella infection. how it makes the lungs spongey, and can cause bone issues, and white snot is NOT a good sign. does NOT mean the rabbit has a cold...means it has an infection of some sort. Usually pasturella but can be other things such as bordatella, irritation etc.

"but it's just a cold!" was the response "They don't die from it!"

No.. It's NOT just a cold...it's an infection that sticks with them. Was my response. Told them how it's immunologically related. Rabbits that show signs of it have a poor immune system and therefore I do not want to breed them and won't recommend that others do either. And I said yes, other people had other responses to it....and preferred to see if the rabbit would "get better". And that I disagreed with that approach...it's just encouraging susceptible stock to reproduce that weakness.

But she didn't want to hear it, He seemed to.

I sent them home. Took their phone number. Said if the rabbit showed signs of anything in the next week I'd be calling them to come get it back and if they didn't I would cull it out.

LS,
I guess you know this:
Be very very careful and do not go near your herd
without changing clothes and washing hands.
I hope YOUR herd remains SAFE!
I would not have even taken that rabbit.
I have been there and it is just not worth the
trouble it could cause.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

it won't be staying with me.
called the interested party and they okayed it.
it's not near any of my rabbits. I wash and change my clothes and shower.
I'm just a holding pattern for the night.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 pm __________<br /><br />Lesson learned...DON"T try to save people a wasted trip out.

Tonight at 1145 she sneezed white snot.
Have emailed her people to come back and get her or I'll be culling her.

Latest posts

Back