Some hair hygene questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
OK, first question: I have a fawn colored NZ meat mutt that seems to be shedding. He has a very rough look to his hair and when I pet him there are tufts that pull out like on my dog (German Shepherd). Not to mention the hair all over his cage! :shock: Is there something I can do for him? I have one of those fuminator shedding brushes for my dogs, can I use it on him?

Second question: I have a Silver Fox buck that is 3 1/2 months old. I moved him over next to my other buck 2-3 weeks ago, they share one wall of their cages, and since then his fur has started to have a "sticky" feel to it... maybe like he is being peed on by the other buck? :x It's not the same soft, slick coat like my Silver Fox does have. The bucks cages aren't the exact same size and his floor is about two inches higher than the NZ bucks. Is it foolish to think that he can't get sprayed at the higher elevation? Do bucks even spray each other like that? What can I do to improve his coat condition or is it maybe genetic?

ek.blair":25l8l7vm said:
Is there something I can do for him?
You can run your hands over him with very damp hands. A lot of the loose fur should stick to your hands.

You can take him outside, pretend he's a wool breed, and pluck him. We actually just did this with Pharaoh, our buck. He looks awful! :lol: He looked awful before it, but now he's actually got bald patches. Galadriel brushed (with a slicker brush), and I plucked. We got a full baggie of fur for nest boxes.

I have one of those fuminator shedding brushes for my dogs, can I use it on him?
I don't see any harm in trying; just pay attention to his skin, to make sure it isn't hurting him.

I moved him over next to my other buck 2-3 weeks ago, they share one wall of their cages, and since then his fur has started to have a "sticky" feel to it... maybe like he is being peed on by the other buck? :x
Yep! :sick:

Is it foolish to think that he can't get sprayed at the higher elevation?
If the other buck wants to spray him, he will find a way, and spray everything else trying.

Do bucks even spray each other like that?
They will spray each other, and they will spray does they'd like to have come visit. :roll:

What can I do to improve his coat condition or is it maybe genetic?
The only way to improve his coat is to move him where the other buck can't reach him, or block the other buck from being able to see or spray him somehow.

Miss M":j3moacsp said:
They will spray each other, and they will spray does they'd like to have come visit. :roll:
Lovely... the does are on the other end of the shed plenty out of reach, thank goodness, now I will just have to put something in between the boys so they can't spray each other :?
Miss M":j3moacsp said:
You can take him outside, pretend he's a wool breed, and pluck him. We actually just did this with Pharaoh, our buck. He looks awful! :lol: He looked awful before it, but now he's actually got bald patches. Galadriel brushed (with a slicker brush), and I plucked. We got a full baggie of fur for nest boxes.
AH!! That's a good idea! Saving it for nest boxes :mrgreen:

Furminators can curl and split the hair shaft if not used correctly, keep it perpendicular to the rabbit if you really want to use it. I prefer a medium/ fine tool pet comb for really big jobs. I also like those silly 'cat grooming' gloves also

ek.blair":3eectsi2 said:
now I will just have to put something in between the boys so they can't spray each other :?
You may be surprised how difficult it can be... there are some interesting stories on here of bucks determined to spray, managing to pee on each other even though it seems physically impossible. Hopefully, it won't be that difficult. :clover:

ek.blair":3eectsi2 said:
AH!! That's a good idea! Saving it for nest boxes :mrgreen:
YES! May as well make those bucks do double duty, right? :lol:

I ended up going to a home improvement store and buying a really thin piece of plexi glass/ acrylic. I drilled holes in it at the top and bottom to secure it to the cage. I made sure the plastic went from top to bottom and front to back, so that I could keep my two bucks from spraying each other.

Your buck also might be peeing on the sides of his cage, trying to spray and mark, and then rubbing up against the sides, and that might be what is making his fur sticky (because I think one of mine does that). Also, I find pee splatters 10 feet away from my rabbits up on the walls, I've seen them do a binky like move and spray at the same time which flings it so it goes even further :shock: . Its my cutest, smallest, blue-eyed-white little netherland dwarf that runs back and forth across his cage happy, binkying and spraying all the time, he also makes a humming noise while he does it. I call him the "dirty white boy".

squidpop":1zkjd16r said:
Its my cutest, smallest, blue-eyed-white little netherland dwarf that runs back and forth across his cage happy, binkying and spraying all the time, he also makes a humming noise while he does it. I call him the "dirty white boy".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OH BOY!!!! I sure hope neither of my bucks learns how to do that! :shock: I am starting to think each buck should be in their own little glass hutch with only a wire bottom, even then they would probably figure out how to get their spray to change direction mid stream and fly up! :twisted:

squidpop":3pnkl8dl said:
Its my cutest, smallest, blue-eyed-white little netherland dwarf that runs back and forth across his cage happy, binkying and spraying all the time, he also makes a humming noise while he does it. I call him the "dirty white boy".
:rotfl:

ek.blair":3pnkl8dl said:
I am starting to think each buck should be in their own little glass hutch with only a wire bottom, even then they would probably figure out how to get their spray to change direction mid stream and fly up! :twisted:
For real! :p Some of the stories I've read, it seems like some bucks have it down to a ninja art! :ninjajig:

Hopefully, a barrier between the two that extends several inches beyond the cage edges would be enough. It might be good to make it opaque, though, because the barrier might still get sprayed up pretty badly if he can still see the other buck.

Sagebrush seems to have had luck with a clear barrier, though. :)

Back