Plush Lop!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
Yes, I get a little breed obsessive. Oh well.

Look at this guy! He's adorable! Are there any breeders (other than the one I found) of Plush Lop breeders in the US? I guess I could make them myself...don't really feel like it though if I can just buy them.

Attachments

• plush lop.jpg
    plush lop.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 5,169
I know!!! He's absolutely one of the cutest things I've ever laid eyes on, and I think I kind of need one or six of them. And...he's in Wisconsin! So when I come relieve YOUR rabbitry of Americans and Beverens next year I can stop by this rabbitry too. I'm going to raid Wisconsin!

Let me know good/bad things, because unless I'm told that they're ravaging people-killers they are going to be a part of my rabbit shopping invasion.

The concept behind the Velveteen was English Lop meets Mini Rex. Mini Rex size and fur, with English Lop body/head/ears.

These Plush Lops are more like Holland Lop meets Mini Rex. They're stockier and MUCH better quality rex fur than Velveteens, because they've been being developed much longer. The originals are in Britain. They also have shorter ears.

I attached a stolen photo of a Velveteen so you can compare. The Plush I posted isn't the greatest example of a Plush, but he's adorable.

Attachments

• velveteen lop.jpg
    velveteen lop.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 5,152
okay...now that is something I could handle...a plush lop. that would be fun. :)<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm __________<br /><br />Jim adds... can we get some? oh man...I could sell a TON of those as pets. :)

Arba won't be issuing a cod on them, they are too close to Velveteen Lops and don't constitute a separate "breed" from the Velveteens. The one in the picture on top (blue) looks like a Velveteen more than what a plush with Holland heritage would look like. In fact he looks like an excellent example of a young Velveteen! :) There are 2 rabbitries that I have found with the 'plush lops" one is in Kentucky and is called Hidden valley or something, they have a gazillion breeds and other weird animals, I think the link may be here somewhere. The other is the Iron Spike rabbitry in Alberta Canada which are the ones that had the herd of white Americans and didn't know it.

I found what looks like a reputable breeder in Wisconsin, I also saw the ones in Kentucky and I don't think that I'll be going to that one...seems a bit sketchy.

I don't think I'd try to introduce them to ARBA, but I think they'd be great to sell as pets! Or for me to keep in my house and love on...

we are on our second litter... they werent supposed to mate in the first place.. let alone twice... but it happened... the first was a litter of 4 .. the second.. a litter of 8 .. they are now about 2 weeks old... eyes opened.. but here they are as relative newborns..

DSC02719.JPG

i have a few more pictures on our "in the nestbox" page

http://sunburnedrabbitry.weebly.com/in-the-nestbox.html<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm __________<br /><br />i almost forgot.. out of that first litter of 4 .. we still have one left.. here he is..

DSC02728.JPG

DSC02727.JPG

he looks normal furred to me too... thats why as i try to sell him i dont use the words plush lop.. i just use mixed rabbit... his mom isnt pedigreed so maybe she isnt pure... that would explain it

I read that they don't always get the fur in the first generation of crossing, the breeder I've been talking to uses normal furred rabbits that have rexed backgrounds, and doesn't get proper fur until maybe the third or fourth generations. They sure are cute though! He's the color of Crush pop!

I've stolen some photos from the breeder's website to show on here. Obviously these guys aren't full on how she wants them yet, she told me she has some in the nestbox that are closer to how she wants them. I'm definately getting a few of them next fall. Here's the link to her website - http://www.krittrs.com/index.php

Attachments

• plushie1.jpg
    plushie1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3,034
  • plushie2.jpg
    plushie2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,034
  • plushie3.jpg
    plushie3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 3,034
its like a velveteen lop???
only larger or smaller, personally it looks wrong

Jack":5do5f8ih said:
its like a velveteen lop???
only larger or smaller, personally it looks wrong

Well...I'm sorry they look wrong to you lol. I'm still getting them, I think they're adorable and would sell like hotcakes. But, to each his own ;)

The idea is a Holland with with rexed fur. I'd like to breed them more compact type and bigger so that they MIGHT have a chance at ARBA. If they're too similar to an existing breed (Holland) they won't accept them.

I guess sort of like a Velveteen, only instead of using English Lop, using Holland.

These ones aren't anywhere near the standard that the lady has set for what she wants them to look like, they're early generation crosses, so keep in mind this isn't the finished product. She's not a show rabbit person, she's just raising them for the pet market, and if ARBA says "Uh, no." that's what I plan on doing.

Latest posts

Back