Balding Chin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukupecpec

Reaction score
One of my bunnies Poppy is losing his fur on his chin. He's a huge "chinner" always rubbing everything and I was wondering if it's normal for him to rub his chin so much that he rubs all the fur off?

Hmm. :?

I suppose it is possible, but I have a lot of bucks and have never seen that happen. :shrug:

I would check him over carefully to see if there is anything else that may be an issue; does the skin look normal? Maybe he has mites or a fungal infection? How about his teeth- any possibility that one of his molars is infected?

If you have any Nu-stock I would put that on the area in case it is mites or fungus. It will take care of both, and will do no harm to try it. I would treat him for a week and see if there is any improvement.

***Also check his cage for any hidden Bic razors and/or shaving cream. :tomato:

Usually there's moisture involved when fur can be rubbed off in a large patch. I have had some strip a chunk of fur from rubbing on the edge of the feeder or a water crock but it was never a big area. Just a line where their face rests when they shove it all the way in. If there's any water from their water source, a frozen bottle, or drooling (heat or teeth issues) the hair can rub off easy. They may even rub it off with their paws and have bald sections on their paws. A common result of a bad respiratory infection but it can happen with other sources of moisture.

He looks ok to me. He does sneeze every once in a while but it didn't seem often enough to be more than an occasional dust sneeze. He's inside so really his only water is his water bottle. His teeth look ok too. And I haven't noticed any other hair loss on his paws or anything. How would I know if it's mites or a fungal infection?

They did have a gross mold under their litter box a couple weeks ago. He pushed some hay up under the box and then his water dripped behind the box and the moisture got trapped in and it got pretty gross. I usually just scoop the poo rather than dumping the who's box daily so it could have been there a whole week or two before I smelled it. The box and bottle have both been moved so that won't happen again.

Can you usually find Nu stock at the feed store? What is it?

MamaSheepdog":1nuwkhfy said:
***Also check his cage for any hidden Bic razors and/or shaving cream. :tomato:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kukupecpec":1nuwkhfy said:
How would I know if it's mites or a fungal infection?
The skin might look flaky, crusted, scabbed, or inflamed. But if he lost it from rubbing, it might be scratched.

kukupecpec":1nuwkhfy said:
Can you usually find Nu stock at the feed store? What is it?
Yes, you should be able to get it at the feed store. Even the smallest feed store near me has it. It runs about $13 for a tube. Shake it very, very well. It is mostly sulphur and pine oil. Sulphur was used to treat bacterial and fungal infections long before antibiotics came along. :)

I will warn you, the stuff is messy. Squeeze the tube with care, and get only as much as will cover the area, especially since he is inside. :) But it works great. The stuff is wonderful, and does not sting. I used it on myself for ringworm once, and it nuked it when nothing else was helping.

Back