Worm bin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some pics of my new worm bin. Each side is about 2 square feet. I will definitely be increasing my vermicomposting now!

Joe

Attachments

• close front.jpg
    close front.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 1,862
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 1,863
  • worm farm side.jpg
    worm farm side.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 1,862
  • opposite side.jpg
    opposite side.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 1,862
Very nice! Do you just dig out all of the "garden gold" periodically?

By the way, I couldn't help but notice in the last couple of photos that your primary contributors of fodder for the worms were just lounging around. Tsk-tsk! :nono:

Tell those bunnies to get to their potty corners and go to work! :gettowork:

This type of bin is more for creating very nice, finished castings, vice focusing on worm production. Basically, you keep adding material to one side until it is full. Then stop feeding that side. At this point you start filling in the second side, putting the new material next to the full side.

Once the second side is full the first side should be absent of worms, they should all have migrated to the fresh, second side. Take a small hand trowel and remove all the castings from the first side. Repeat process in reverse.

Joe

Really interesting!

I have all my worms in my big stone compost bins, and in all my garden beds, and all over the hillside. :lol: I seem to have red-worms just about everywhere these days!

Anyone in NW PA SW NY or NE OH need any worms?

Joe n TN":mr99im98 said:
This type of bin is more for creating very nice, finished castings, vice focusing on worm production.

Ohhh!

But... what prevents the worms from moving to "greener pastures" before they have finished eating the first side? And why, if they can move over there to eat versus being on lean rations while finishing eating everything on side one, does it impact their reproduction? :?

Is it because they tend to stay in the first few inches from the surface? Or are you feeding them only enough at a time that they "finish" it before adding more material?

The greener pastures question, you don't add compost items to the empty side until you want the worms to go there. Basically don't give them greener pastures. The concept is to only add what you think the worms will consume each day.

Vertical worm bins are better for harvesting worms. It is easier to harvest a tray and separate the worms out. The bin I built keeps the worms in one area so they completely finish the vermicompost, thus making better vermicompost.

Of course you can harvest the worms out whenever you want, but my intention for this type of bin is to produce larger amounts of vermicompost than I do now and of better quality.

Joe

I found a wood sealant that is non-toxic, Seal Once. It is getting two coats on the inside. A no V.O.C. paint is getting put on the outside.

Joe

Back