Is it reasonalbe for a lionhead buck to molt at 10 months?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a lionhead buck who I was told is 10 months old. The person said he was molting, and that's why he looks funny.

Is it reasonable to have one molt so young?

I'd like to consider getting him to mate with our 1 year old female lionhead. But they say he isn't "proven". Should I worry?

Thank you.

Attachments

• LH1.jpg
    LH1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,099
  • LH2.jpg
    LH2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,099
Depending on his lines, I would say "Yes" it is possible that he is molting at 10 months. I would not hold out much hope that the mane will grow back in very well though. As for being proven, I would not worry too much about that just yet. I have a 10 mo old Lionhead buck that I have not gotten around to breeding with just yet myself. A question for you though, are you planning on breeding for show rabbits or pets? What color is your doe?

amandainohio24":3n4vmm9e said:
Depending on his lines, I would say "Yes" it is possible that he is molting at 10 months. I would not hold out much hope that the mane will grow back in very well though. As for being proven, I would not worry too much about that just yet. I have a 10 mo old Lionhead buck that I have not gotten around to breeding with just yet myself. A question for you though, are you planning on breeding for show rabbits or pets? What color is your doe?

Great thank you for the information. We would be breeding for pets.

What color would you call him?????

His colour is fawn or orange which will produce more fawns and possibly torts in solid and broken if crossed to your broken tort lion head doe.

Dood":140vgipk said:
His colour is fawn or orange which will produce more fawns and possibly torts in solid and broken if crossed to your broken tort lion head doe.

Thank you!!!

Back