got a grinder/sausage stuffer! tips and recipes welcome!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
So fiances tax money came in and he got me an early birthday present :) a small meat grinder that has a stuffer tube attachment. In school i took a meat processing lab and we did sausages etc with ahuge version and i understand how it works but i am sure it will take a bit of practice!
The casing we got comes in a funny dry stick tube deal and says not to wet it. In the lab i took we used the salted hog type that you pulled a length out and shook off most salt and soaked to rehydrate in a bowl of water. So if anyone has any good videos they know of for this type casing i would be super grateful as i havent yet.

I have a couple to butcher tomorrow and one in the fridge now ready to go. I am gonna just grind this one up to get used to it but i would love to try to do sausage/brats type with the others.

What do yall use fat wise in your sausage? Since the rabbit doesnt have much fat to lend and i read that rabbit fat tastes not so good anyhow.

Super excited :)
Thanks!

You have collagen casings, those are nice. No need to wet them and, they are uniform diameter and don't split as easily as hog casings do. Just thread them onto the stuffer tube, give the end a twist and clip with a clothespin to hold it closed while you stuff it. Once the moisture form the meat gets in there (after it's filled) it gets slightly sticky and will stay twisted on it's own.

Now just what kind of sausage do you want to make? Chorizo, Breakfast, Italian, Brats, peperoni, salami..... You'll have to add fat to the rabbit for any of it. As for seasonings, you can DIY or cheat like I do and go to either Cabelas or Gander Mountain and get the pre mixed seasonings then just follow package directions. Works perfectly.

Lucky you! I would love to play with percentages of pork tallow, seasoning, brats, burgers, sausages,... ooo the extended possibilities!

Back