fried liver

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebear

Reaction score
I fried up a few (quite a few actually)bunny livers for my lunch today. WoW they popped and spattered like crazy but the clean up will be worth it! So delicate a flavor, I like calves liver but my family doesn't so I rarely get liver.But this was nothing like calf liver. hard to describe but it was sweet, not bloody tasting at all,not grainy like beef liver.Almost afraid to share 'cause then I won't get it all :twisted: Anyone who has not tried the livers should give it a try. At least I think so.... :D

Yes! Aren't rabbit livers wonderful, katiebear? :bouncy:

I call them the "liver hater's liver". They are just delicious... not like other liver at all. I just saute them in real butter and lightly salt and pepper them. I love them with heritage tomatoes and a green salad. :dinner:

BTW, the kidneys are almost as good. I cut them in half and saute along with the liver. The heart also tastes fine, but tends to be chewy because it is muscle rather than an organ.

Without question, the very best liver you'll ever eat.

I tell folks that all the time. All they have to do is try it once and they're hooked.

grumpy.

I have to cook it myself now, because it splatters on my wife, -- but-- it is well worth it. I cook the livers, kidneys, and hearts all together, --no one else here even knows if they like the kidneys or not, as there are none left for them by dinner time.

"Liver hater's liver?" Hmmmm..... I do hate liver. But I've only tried beef and chicken. You guys are starting to make me think about trying some next time we butcher. I was giving the organs to the dogs, but they will not eat the raw livers. The third time I offered, I scrambled them with eggs. They ate it, but the smell of it cooking was turning my stomach upside down. I think I have a bit of a mental block. When you sautee them, MaggieJ, how long do you have them in the pan? I'm afraid I'll either undercook them and taste the ... uh... richness? or overcook them and wind up with something that bounces. I can't stand heart for the bouncy texture.

I don't really know how long I saute the livers, LPH_NY... perhaps 5-7 minutes. I slice them so you get more browned area than in a chunk and always use real butter. I don't cook them too hot... saute, not fry... and take them out just when there is no pinkiness left. You're right, don't overcook... That just spoils liver of any kind.

I made the mistake of showing my family how much I loved eating them and now I have to butcher at LEAST 12 rabbits to just get a taste!

Try it as stroganoff, you will LOVE it.

I'm still scared to try them too, Ole Mule. :oops:

I used to cook beef liver as a treat for my dog, and the smell grossed me out... but maybe I will try doing that again (with rabbit liver), and see if I can be brave enough to try a piece myself.

You know this is funny I love liver gravy but cannot stand liver. The gravy is fine the liver is way to strong in taste. I like chicken gizzards, never ate hearts or any other organ meat.

You guys don't know what you're missing. I'm not a huge fan of other livers but rabbit liver is just the best.

I do not like liver, at all! But rabbit liver is so good it is the only liver I will eat!

I've never had liver, but this actually sounds very good. I will have to try with my first litter that I butcher! very excited!

I'm sure my dog will happily dispatch of any other organs and heads I don't want. I can't wait for next year when I will (hopefully) have my first litter ready for my rabbit wringer! :p

I like liver, but rabbit liver has me spoiled! Now even calf's liver tastes strong to me.

Rabbit liver is very mild and smooth. Just try one taste. Maybe a second taste just to be fair. You will probably decide it's all those OTHER livers you don't like! :)

My Wife breads and fries all the livers, kidneys, and hearts together, with onions- it is sure good, --she had told me she was not going to cook any more because they splatter, -- but-- I came home to a very nice meal again last night-- life is good...

Is it ok to freeze livers till I butcher again in a week or so in order to have enough for a meal?

Latest posts

Back