Uncarded French Angora wool advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innerchild777

Reaction score
Hello! :)
I've just started out with 2 beautiful French Angoras. I harvested over the course of a few days and the fiber is about 3-3.5 inches long. I wanted to try spinning the fiber uncarded on a drop spindle (haven't saved up enough for a wheel yet!!) and hoped for some pointers on here:) I have only been spinning for a short time, and I realize that Angora fiber is slippery compared to sheep's wool, but I'm a dare devil, what can I say!
Any advice on drop spindle use with uncarded fiber?

Spun uncarded as a cloud like your doing is the best way, but I can't really give you any pointers besides saying to make sure you add a lot of twist so it stays. Drop spin fling angora is something you have to learn by application, basically.

Thanks for the responses. I've seen it done a few times on a wheel (oh how I WISH I had a wheel!!!!!!). Since it's bound to be awhile before I get a wheel, I'll have PLENTY of time to perfect using a drop spindle with the fiber. I am getting some hand carders in a week or so, too.

All I can say is don't get discouraged. I learned to use the wheel way before I could even make my drop spindle useful. I spin the angora from a cloud as well.

I spin from the uncared cloud on my wheel. Don't give up. There is a learning curve to spinning angora. I asked for spinning advice from our local spin shop and she told me I would have to teach her since she had little experience with angora, and she's been spinning for close to 30 years! Check with your local spin shop or at fiber festivals for used wheels. They are out there.

LBMBarbalooski":fooaz122 said:
... Check with your local spin shop or at fiber festivals for used wheels. They are out there.

Michigan Fiber Festival 2014, Allegan County (western MI, I think?)

Links page of website for Weavers Guild of Kalamazoo. Note also their Spring Retreat.

You're (almost) never alone in the fiber world in the Age of the Internet. :) Also look up the Dodek (maybe Dodec) spinning wheel, very simple to make, very inexpensive to make. Not elegant, but very functional, according to those who've used one. It's not a flyer but rather a spindle wheel. (This may mean nothing to you now, but it means a lot in terms of ease of construction.)

Happy "surfing"! :D

Hi Innerchild,

I spin my angora on my flock of Kundert spindles :D My advise is to watch your drafting triangle ... that is where the "business" really happens. Yes, overspin your angora a bit, especially if you are not going to ply. And use the barest of grip to hold onto the cloud in your hand. Take only small clumps, fluff it up, then use to spin :D

DogCatMom-
Thanks! The woman who I bought the Angoras from suggested the Fiber Fest, which I had never heard of! It's really close to where I live, so I'm TOTALLY going!

When you do spin with a drop, please let us know and post pictures if you are able. I've gotten into French Angoras and would love to try my hand at spinning with a drop spindle. A wheel would be too expensive for me to just goof off with.

I spin Giant and English wool, and at this point I've found the drop spindle to be easier than the wheel, due to more experience. Don't hold too much wool at once-your hands will sweat and get very slippery.

ckcs":zirockzn said:
When you do spin with a drop, please let us know and post pictures if you are able. I've gotten into French Angoras and would love to try my hand at spinning with a drop spindle. A wheel would be too expensive for me to just goof off with.

You could always try a kick spindle, midway between and nothing to drop.

I have one, and although I stopped really using it when I got the wheel, it's pretty handy to wind off a drop spindle.

You can always card your angora with wool or silk to help it be less slick. My angora/silk blends have yielded some amazingly beautiful yarn.

Latest posts

Back