trash breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
:soap:
So I have 6 males and only want to maybe keep one, had a lady call me from my online add, and sold her one, but took two, so she could choose, since I right next door (the Carls Jr. has a AWESOME playland) I decided to sell the other one to the pet store....

They are usually flooded with junk rexes. I mean healthy animals but nothing to improve the breed.
:rant: called to day to check on my rabbit, only to find that the lady who breeds junk rexes bought him :explode:

THAT IS THE LAST THING I NEED :rant:
some rabbit lady flooding the market with POOO :evil: Thriantas
GRRRRR :explode:

Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem, particularly in an area like yours where outside breeding stock can be difficult to obtain and expensive. The temptation to use less than good specimens for breeding would be stronger for those who just don't give a darn about the breed.

More coffee, Jack? :coffee: Maybe some donuts with that? :donut: :donut:

No, it's not that, it's the part where it's a small area and you get a damn 'bunny mill' cranking out crappy examples, smearing the whole breed, and cutting into mine and Pulps market share, I stand competition from a breeder, I just don't want red half rexes being passed as "rare from Holland exotic Thriantas" and having to explain to someone that no, that's not a thrianta, hell think about how many 'Chihuahuas' are on Craigslist....<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:01 pm __________<br /><br />BTW, Rachel, are you still keeping all your does?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. What I was getting at is that these bunny mill types don't care about the breeds, just about the quick profit. It's bad news for everyone and I don't blame you for being furious.

Well, at least the good news is that it's highly unlikely that she'll have the correct color rex to produce anything NEAR red in the first generation cross, so it will just be Rex mixes. :/ She could have accomplished THAT with any ol' free rabbit off Craigslist. I wonder if she realizes that...

Hey Jack,
sorry to hear of this horrible situation.
Nect time you are selling any rabbit that
you do not want used for breeding,
send it to the processor or eat it yourself.
It is a puzzlement, what to do when you would
like said rabbit to be used as a breeding help,
not a breeding hindrance.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

on a positive note>>>> maybe she didn't buy it to breed it.
MAYBE she just likes to look of them.
MAYBE she will hang on to it until she finds a good mate for it.

you don't know these things Jack.

Lady I know around here breeds rabbits strictly for the pet market and she has a thriantra...just because she likes the look of it. Me..I look and think...big red rabbit....too big to cross with a nethie, too small to cross with a NZR or Harlequin. NOT something you want to cross with anything really...

she does think at some point to find a TINY buck to breed it to...but until then, if she has to wait forever she just loves up on it. And any buck she finds will be a thiantra as well. But she's fairly confident that it's job will be solely to be a pet.

Well, there have been, and some *do* show rabbit with completely falsified pedigrees, locally, well if it's a certain breed, they have a bad rep with showers as there are a few pet breeders who have passed pretty mixes on the table, or worse, sold them with a completely bogus pedigree.

Oh and Otter, my does, either I keep them, sell them with pedigrees, or the go to freezer camp.

Rabbits are shown based on phenotype, not genotype. Meaning you show it as what its looks like, not what it is. Case in point, Youth breeder, does Harlequins, has REW in her lines, as many have used NZW to improve type. She often shows a NZW meat pen but their really REW Harlequins. Doesn't matter to me really, except when she sells them as NZW, and they have lousy type because their really Harlequins. Lots of rabbits on the show tables could be considered mixes, folks often cross breeds to improve type and bring in other colors. See it a lot with meat breeds, NZ's are used a lot to improve other breeds. Had a fellow Silver breeder, bought a pair of fawn Silvers, bred them and their were REW's in the litter. She was devastated, they looked like Silvers, had full three gen peds, came from a impeccable source, that cross could have been many gens back. I often breed my Thrianta buck to my Harlequin doe, Harlequin is dominate over non-extension, so I get japanese harlequin teddy bear looking babies that I sell to the pet store as either Harlequins, or Thrianta crosses. They just want cute small babies that will be good pets. Quite frankly what pays the feed bill here? Mini Rex, their what everyone wants, one year my sales covered not just rabbit feed but dog food also. Thrianta crosses not so much. Its all about that fur. I wouldn't worry too much about it, she may do a few litters, find out the Rexes sell better and that will be it.

I love Carl Jr's, the fried zucchini, Yum!!!

Genetics/odd colors can appear from as far as 45 generations away.
That may answer some of the strange colors that sometimes appear to
suddenly show up in a litter.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

But really, what's to worry about, Jack? If we're afraid to put rabbits on the market, why should we care if someone else floods it with "junk" since we're not selling anyway. And if they want to show...well, then you wouldn't have to worry about whether or not I'm going to be able to fill a class! Easy points!

True, I have had rex x thrianta mixes (damn rabbits are fast, that one happened behind my back, literally, lets just say I was surprised...)
They are pretty rabbits, but the red color carries, but not the solid, love the fur, would make a great hat, but I know it would never pass as pure bred, because of the fur alone.

Back