Good Idea?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla@LWR

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have had a litter in the last couple months.. of one little baby but unfortunetly died a couple days after birth.

BUT, I was wondering if I had kits(old enough to leave) that I did not sell, if it would be a good idea to sell/give any unsold bunnies to pet stores?

I can't have an overload as it will stress my mother and I out. So I was wondering what you all though. :)

Comments appreciated <3

:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Some people don't mind using petstores and some people want more control over the rabbits' care and quality of homes. It's your decision. There are some legal issues. At minimum you need a USDA license if you sell more than $500 of rabbit. Which is usually not a big deal for rabbits. I ran in to it with my hedgehogs and chinchillas that sell for $100+. You should also keep track of the income for taxes if you aren't giving them for free because using petstores leaves a paper trail of income that normally isn't recorded from rabbit sales. It's possible there are more situations that you need a USDA license but I think that's it for rabbits. I think it's only more exotic animals that require a USDA license for selling to petstores under a $500 income.

I think it is a great idea if you can get some stores on board. I contacted a local store in my area about taking a couple of baby bunnies and they said they would. I was willing to give them away to the store as I didn't wish to worry about the USDA crap. Fortunately the rabbits sold that week and I didn't need to do that. It was a small mom and pop shop and I suspect they are easier to deal with.

you'll find people on both sides of the fence on this issue.

My suggestion:

1. scoop out the pet stores you are interested in selling to.
2. check out the knowledge of the staff
3. check out the cleanliness of the store/cages etc.
4. ask what they do if a rabbit becomes ill and if they practice quarantine (quarantine could simply males in one cage, girls in another and rabbits from different breeders are not put together).
5. be prepared to be helpful.

and then don't give them free. Sell them. Figure out what their base cost is to you and sell for no less than that. They need to make their money, but you need to have your costs covered as well. :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking baby rabbits to a pet store as long as its a good pet store, one that separates the male babies out from the females, and doesn't over crowd the cages. The pet store I like to go to only takes 2-4 rabbits at a time and doesn't take on any new rabbits until they are all sold. They have two glass enclosures for their rabbits, they keep the males in one and females in another. The only unfortunate thing is I don't like the pellets they sell to their customers, they are those guinea pig/rabbit muesli pellets.

Back