Changing behavior... test nibbling on clothing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
So I have this buck I held back from one of my first litters. He's 17 weeks old. He has always been very personable, just like his Flemish Giant father. I wouldn't say he's uber laid back like a house rabbit might be, but I'm happy with how sociable he is. He's not shy. As soon as you open the cage door, he comes right out. Nudges my hand to get me to pet him if I'm not doing so right away.

The thing is, over the last week or so, every time I hold him he's tried to nibble my clothing. And he often gets my skin underneath. :( I was bitten pretty hard multiple times by his mother. She started out sweet and loveable and then at 4 months she turned into the killer bunny from Monty Python. Two litters later she only got worse and bit chunks of flesh out of my husband's knuckles. I'm terrified that my sweet and handsome buck might be changing into a monster rabbit, too. :(

Is the frequent nibbling at my clothing a possible sign that he might soon start biting my bare skin? Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? I don't hold him more than 5 minutes at a time at his size and age.

I know that he is very interested in meeting a doe. Anytime they are caged side-by-side for exercise and grazing he spends an awful lot of time flirting and showing off. But they are both much too young to let him have his way. Should I completely remove him from the barn where the does are and not let them be side by side anymore? Could the clothing nibbling be driven by his hormones?

LPH_NY":7fw35rht said:
But they are both much too young to let him have his way.
I had a litter from a brother and sister who bred at 15 weeks. 8 babies. I have had 4 more litters from the young bucks and does in that litter.

Should I completely remove him from the barn where the does are and not let them be side by side anymore?
The only concerns about them being side by side is that rabbits can breed through cage wire. So if they are literally side by side, you may want to change that. Also, some bucks will spray does to show their affection. :? But many do not. Mine doesn't.

Could the clothing nibbling be driven by his hormones?
I don't think he's necessarily turning into a monster bunny, though he is transitioning to adulthood, and some bunnies don't stay sweet through that.

We have a buck who used to nip like that. I read the "Language of Lagomorphs" site http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ and used the "offendedness" page R-E-S-P-E-C-T to help me out.

When he nipped, I took him immediately and quickly to his cage, put him unceremoniously in, closed the door, and then turned my back on him in a dramatic "humph!" fashion. I did not look back, but walked away.

He nipped one more time, and I did it again. He has never nipped me since.

Back