Frustation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
My last bunny died.

What do you think he could have died from?
"he only liked to eat pellets and bananas, he wouldn't eat hay, and one day we ran out of pellets, but he had lots of hay and some banana. Would he have starved to death? is that why he died?"

How do you answer that?

I don't know.

I've had other people tell me their buns died and ask me if I can tell them why.

I CAN'T! I don't know everything about their dearly departed bunny and haven't even met the rabbit in order to give my thoughts.

It's just .... mildly frustrating.

WOW

Just WOW !

That poor poor bunny :(

Unfortunately trying to help these people is often like :bdh: and they'll be gobsmacked when their next pet randomly dies as well :shrug:

Yeah, poor bunny :weep:

I would definitely tell them that studying bit more on rabbit feeding could help prolong the lives of any future bunnies they might consider.

I started responding to those questions with "well, if you'd like to bring the body to me to necropsy..." and that's the last I hear from them!

I attempted to clarify that.. the impression I was given was only a couple of days... but initially it appeared to be longer.
They tried a variety of things to get bunny to eat hay so they would have more options with feeding but he sounded like a VERY finicky rabbit.
- would only eat pellets (a particular type)
- would only eat ORGANIC bananas (not the regular ones)
- would only eat ORGANIC lettuce, spinach, etc.
Anything else he would turn his nose up at.

They were ran out of pellets because of bad timing and the store being late on a shipment (of the particular type they liked).

I asked if they had gotten the teeth checked and vet checked. Oh yes, go to vet, say is girl, but he started to spray at us... would turn in circles spraying.

I honestly.. had no clue what to tell them. It seemed they did what they should.

I wasn't wanting folks to get worked up over this case... it's just I've had too many people say "why did my rabbit die, it only wanted to eat thus and such and now it's dead because I wanted it to eat more than thus and such". And they seem (based on conversations) to be fairly level headed folks so it's just VERY frustrating when they come and ask why did he die and I have to say.. HAVEN"T THE FOGGIEST.

plus sometimes I wonder if I'm even being told everything..

just a waste of time overall....

Oh, okay, I'm sorry I misunderstood! :(

It sounded like one day they ran out of pellets, and never bothered to get any more.

But you can keep a healthy rabbit on nothing but hay for several days, at least. I don't see a healthy rabbit dying because it's been eating only organic bananas for a few days.

Miss M":2fif5w0o said:
Oh, okay, I'm sorry I misunderstood! :(

It sounded like one day they ran out of pellets, and never bothered to get any more.

But you can keep a healthy rabbit on nothing but hay for several days, at least. I don't see a healthy rabbit dying because it's been eating only organic bananas for a few days.

Yes, it sounded to me like they were only giving hay which they clearly knew the rabbit refused to eat.

Back