people make me laugh

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Three times I've had this now.

People want one of MY bunnies.
BUT they don't want to buy from me.

I have a general rule of thumb..

six weeks - $40-50
seven weeks - $40 perhaps $35 if I think it warrants it
Eight weeks - $35 ish.
Nine weeks - pet store/freezer or if I have room I'll hold you and drop the price a bit. $20-25. After 12 weeks it goes up to $30 and stays there.

These folks will email, asking about bunnies, expressing interest but never committing with a down payment.

Then at nine weeks they'll ask if I'll let them know if I'm sending bunnies to the pet store and if so what day.

Then they'll go to the pet store.. sometimes five minutes after I've dropped the rabbits off and pay $40-50 depending on the rabbit... when they could have bought the rabbit from me for $20-25. Pet store loves me as I send them customers.

I don't understand it.
It's the same rabbit.
Still no long-term guarantee (two days vs one day).
no starter bag of pellets.
Nothing...

I don't get it....

Weirdness.

All I can figure is that people hate commitment, and so would rather pay twice as much than pay a down payment? I don't know... it still isn't making sense.

I did ask one person once...and her response was... well, we just like buying from a pet store. the other two... I just didn't bother.

People at a shop can come and go as many times as they want, not pay a cent down or make any appointments to look. If they don't want to buy but want to pet and look, they can with out any promise to buy any thing.

I dislike it and don't understand it either, but that's just how some people are.

People are weird to deal with. Some are great and some just downright suck.

I had someone message me for mini lops and hoping they would be velveteen? Or they ask for a completely different breed all together.

I don't get where this comes from and if they can find the contact page, why can't they find the sales agreement page which is posted as FOR SALE and the additional text on the page that says to read first because the link to the actual for sale page in on the bottom??? I will tell them basically to please refer back and figure it out because I'm tired of redundant questions. I really enjoy meeting new people and families, but i have low tolerance for lack of effort and pure laziness on their end.

You're probably doing yourself a favor being able to take them to a pet store!

As others have said, it's probably because they have no commitment to buy from the pet store. I've always preferred getting pets from a breeder than a shop but I think that's a rare trait. But hey, at least you are making money off your pets! Selling pets became too frustrating and so I stopped advertising. The no-shows, the hagglers, and a couple of bad experiences was more than I cared to deal with.

I prefer getting animals from the breeder.. but I can't see a breeder and say ''sorry, it doesn't feel right.."..If I come to the breeder I'm buying the rabbit.
So I don't go there unless I've already decided. :lol:

I wouldn't wait for the rabbit to reach the pet store though..

Maybe it is because people want to see the bunny first. I haven't had this problem but I always take lots of photos of the bunnies at different angles and of the parents so they can really see the bunny- and how big it will get.

ladysown":37811en8 said:
Then they'll go to the pet store.. sometimes five minutes after I've dropped the rabbits off and pay $40-50 depending on the rabbit... when they could have bought the rabbit from me for $20-25.
I don't get it....

I don't know the name for it, but some people just plain like to spend money.
And if they spend bigger money, then they brag about how much money
the item cost them.

Me, I would rather go to the breeder. I can see the parents and the
breeders set up. Maybe get some new ideas on how to do things.
And I can ask all kinds of questions too :)

Some people prefer to buy from pet shops because they believe they are "rescuing" the animal. I worked at a pet shop as a teenager and saw more than a few like that. They didn't actually WANT the animal, they just wanted to feel all warm and fuzzy thinking they'd saved it from a horrible existence in a pet shop cage.

I was picking up some grain today in a Country Max farm store
locally. I was checking out the rabbits. Just keeping track of prices.
Last I knew mixed bunnies were at 29.99 and purebreds were 39.99.
Today the sign on the cage said 39.99 for MIXED bunnies. THUD !

customer made me laugh tonight.

Came out for a doe.. loved the look and colour of her.. wanted her, but said hey.. you have another other like this... like this one.. pulled out a pick of a sable point. Said yup, got one like that.

He liked it... but liked the doe better.
Thought he should ask his girlfriend what she thought.

she fell immediately for the sable point. LOVED IT.

For the next 10 minutes he's talking to her in Chinese, she keeps saying "i like this one". (in both english and chinese). NOTE: I do not speak chinese at all.. but tone/body language plus a couple times she said "I tell him I like this one). :)

Then he said something in Chinese and I just hooted. His tone and everything I KNEW what he said (meant) and I hooted!
He got all embarrassed as he didn't expect me to know what he said... I said.. hey... tone, body language... I knew what you meant even if I couldn't understand you.

Should I put the doe away?

YES.. the girlfriend wants that light bunny.. but this one.. oh.. I like it...But best do what girlfriend likes.

Latest posts

Back