EMERGENCY!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
I think I am going to lose this whole litter. They are weak, won't nurse. I mixed up some sugar water, but I don't know, they seemed fine, and now....

They look weak, and one like it is seizing. Two still look normal, but for how long?!

Any advice?<br /><br />__________ Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 am __________<br /><br />I give up. I put the nest in with mom. If they die, they die, and it looks like that's what is happening anywyas. Stupid rabbits. I am this close to getting out.

Shara, colony raising, from what I understand (which isn't a lot), has some very unique challenges. You've just started and you're still in the experimental stages. I'm sorry this litter isn't working out, and I'm hoping that it doesn't stop you all together. I hope someone has some good advice. This is Maples first litter?

Second. Spooky killed the first pretty quickly. I am hoping her next goes better, with less stress. (I am getting rid of Spooky and Luna) Then I can save some of her daughters. If it doesn't work out, I guess I will buy some sisters from you and raise them up. Maybe they will do better. :(

But yeah, I gave them to Maple and if they die...I guess they die. Hopefully Maple and Cedar do better as a pair.

When you're ready, let me know and I will hold some back, no charge. I know how much you love bunnies and don't want to see you give up (unless you really decide it's not what you want). Besides, I'm a total enabler!

I'm having problems in my colony too. I think it may be that the area is too small. I'm getting Sage and Rosemary (the other two does) out of there before Alice can kindle again. I will just keep Alice and Jasper as a pair and perhaps keep one of the first litter as a second doe. I'm thinking a trio could work if the second doe has been in the colony from birth.

Small indoor colonies are fairly experimental still and while the advantages are obvious, the problems are bound to crop up along the way and require some troubleshooting. But I'd rather just have a pair in a colony than put the rabbits back in cages.

I am so thankful to have you guys. :)

Paula, I will pay for them, and even pay deposit, lol. You have to feed your buns, too! But I will get some, and from you, partly because yours are beautiful, and mostly because you are an awsome person and I like to do what I can to help out awesome people. :) I guess it would take a LOT to get me to stop rabbits. But this IS discouraging!

I am with you, Maggie. I would rather have one pair than putting them back in cages. I just have to figure out how this is going to work, or not.

I'm fairly confident it would work with two does raised together or with a doe and a female kit raised by her in the colony. I know I made the mistake of assuming that because the adult does were getting along well that they would be okay with each other's litters. I think it was a mistake to put three does in my small (8 foot square) space in the first place. Now that there are five youngsters running around, it does look a tad crowded. In the spring I hope to add an outdoor run with access through the old chicken pop-hole (currently blocked, but easy enough to open again.) That should help.

So... we'll retrench, cut back to just Alice and her older kits (and Jasper, of course) and see how that goes.

MaggieJ":2eeyl24e said:
I'm having problems in my colony too. I think it may be that the area is too small. I'm getting Sage and Rosemary (the other two does) out of there before Alice can kindle again. I will just keep Alice and Jasper as a pair and perhaps keep one of the first litter as a second doe. I'm thinking a trio could work if the second doe has been in the colony from birth.

Small indoor colonies are fairly experimental still and while the advantages are obvious, the problems are bound to crop up along the way and require some troubleshooting. But I'd rather just have a pair in a colony than put the rabbits back in cages.

Thread drift: Maggie, I have a doe named Sage, one named Rosemary, and one named Alice. I lost my red buck...Jasper. Very strange!

Back