Hm.. long time since I logged on..again!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
I guess I'm not a regular anymore :p Well. I'm sure I'll be back more often again sooner or latr and bug you all ;)

Things are ok. I don't remember when I was here last time? Did I have my quail? Anyway, I have quail now too. At first they lived with Loki, but then Loki turned free range.. so now they only live with each other.

Loki do enjoy his free range life! And he's neat to have around. He has his house and watrbowl in the barn.

Besta got kits too.. and such a cranky doe she become. She's straight out agressive.. Previous ownr sais she's usually fine when she has kits but not this time. I ended up separating the coplony since she attacked everything and everyone.. I guess she was a solitary for too long and now gets stressed by being with other does. So she's finally got her own cage. I'm trying to have one of her kits - a pretty tan hare - adopted by Tistel, who's still a sweetheart.

Suttug had 11 babies yesterday! That's a record in my barn :) First time doe too. Silvio, the chapagne d'arget buck, is the father. Suttung is the Checjered Giant/Svensk Päls cross.

I'm concidering to cut down on the rabs. I don't need all those does.. and Rskva and Beijla äre full siblings anyway. Not sue which to keep. Röskva has a prettier coat but Beijla is a bit more friendly. Perhaps I shouldn't keep any of them but just stick with Tistel, Suttung, Natt, Bestla (one more litter to see if she'll be better in solitary) and that young kit. And Vide.. because I still want to breed maned meatrabbits eventually.
Now I certainly don't need 4 bucks either.. I'll keep Silvio and Loki. But I'm afraid Peta will have to go. And Sälg too, once he's sired a few kits.

As for the quail.. I started with 5 hen and one rooster.. one hen died and one escaped.. so I have three left. So I built an incubator to multiply them. 6 eggs ov 10 are still alive when candeled today after 8 days. :) I dropped one onthe floor that was growing..:( and three just never started. I'm surprised anyhow because the temps got up to 41°C the first night and then dropped to 27°C the day after and stayed there fr hours.. I was sure all were lost. But not yet, appearantly :) I've manged to keep it between 36-38°C since and they seem to do fine.
My friend ordered me a surprse inubator though. It's been shipped from Hongkong so I'm looking forward to get it! It's a small one for 16 quail eggs, but that's more than enough :) I only intend to maintain my own ''flock'' or whatever word is proper.

So the newest project is a brooder for the chicks.. I'm rebuilding a piece of furniture and installing red halogen lamps for heat. Seems like the cheapest option, and I am testrunning it carefully. The 30w lights only gave me 31°C so I'm trying 40w now. Keeping it running for a day and check temperature on several points, especially the top (glass door) to make sure it's far below flamable temperatures and won't build up.
I really don't want to keep a 200w heating lamp in my room in this summer heat.. especially if a 40w will do the job :) I wish I knew what temperature the heating mats for reptiles will be - internet gave me no answer. I figure if the mat goes up to 37° I could place it under a roof, like a real hen. Seen those solutions online but they're just so expencive. I don't think the mats go to 37° though..

Maybe I should just put the chicks in a rabbit nest? *lol*

Well.. that's an update from me.. :)

10314645_677172005651178_3834759604752438791_n.jpg

10295712_675876542447391_5082497683059608635_n.jpg

10250191_676280145740364_646995183274794097_n.jpg

Zab! So nice to hear from you, and I am glad things are going well.

Love the pics- Loki looks so happy.

Hi Zass!

Zab":2q5kkujj said:
I don't remember when I was here last time? Did I have my quail?
Zab":2q5kkujj said:
And Vide.. because I still want to breed maned meatrabbits eventually.

Nope, no quail, and no maned rabbit, either! The last new buck you got was the hare.

Your bunnies all look happy, as usual! :)

Good to see you back!

Miss M":2h5cjpmi said:
Hi, Zab! :p

MamaSheepdog":2h5cjpmi said:
You've got your Zs mixed up! :lol:

Oh my gosh!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Obviously, my typing fingers have a default "most-recent-memory" of their own... "Z" followed by "a" "s"... er, never mind. No offense, Zass! :x I really don't think you are a donkey. :oops:

And Zab- I am sorry I typo'd your name. :oops: (This has got to be a record of most number of "embarrassed smileys" in one post EVER!)

But! See what happens when you are away too long? I blame you! :p :lol: :twisted:

Haha! I didn't even notice the misspell :p

So.. no quail last time, huh? Well, got a few now :) And the third one is finally starting to lay eggs!

MamaSheepdog":22zvn576 said:
Miss M":22zvn576 said:
Hi, Zab! :p

MamaSheepdog":22zvn576 said:
You've got your Zs mixed up! :lol:

Oh my gosh!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Obviously, my typing fingers have a default "most-recent-memory" of their own... "Z" followed by "a" "s"... er, never mind. No offense, Zass! :x I really don't think you are a donkey. :oops:

And Zab- I am sorry I typo'd your name. :oops: (This has got to be a record of most number of "embarrassed smileys" in one post EVER!)

But! See what happens when you are away too long? I blame you! :p :lol: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I figured all I had to do was point it out, sit back, and wait. You did not disappoint. :twisted:

Hello there.

Those eggs are really beautiful.

I made an incubator, and after the chicks hatched, I used the incubator a a brooder. I used a 100w light bulb. Bootleg for sure, but it worked.

:)

As a last resort I might have to use the incubator, but I've learnt that it's better for them to not have regular light 24/7, so I'll try to make it work as I planned. But hope is not lost yet! :)

I figure I should show my quail too.. xD Funny birds.

10314450_674120082623037_6132139595703227585_n.jpg

10178014_683703938331318_1259133116354814380_n.jpg

They lived with Loki to start with, but then he became free range :)

10358750_683165468385165_4713359253234476830_n.jpg

10363754_683165525051826_232902591544285926_n.jpg

10338730_683165421718503_7718093583716889500_n.jpg

And a picture I took this morning. Now I'm off to bed :p
10320557_683375208364191_7169759095146502436_n.jpg

__________ Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:01 am __________

I'm still alive.. :bunnyhop:

Stuff happened.. death in family, stress with school, other family cutting me off and whatnot. And just the regular fallpits of life. But that's not the only reason to my absense, of course.. if it were, this would be the first time I disappeared. And it's not.

Rabbits are getting less of my attention. I still have the colony, I still like them.. but.. there's not that much to talk about. I do't even know what I used to talk about before..

I'm starting up a webcomic. Because having more stuff on my table is what I need right now...*lol* I hope it will help me decvelop my artistic skills and a style of sorts. Of corse there's rabbits in it.. or rabbit people. And fox and wolf.. and gaited horses..and dragons.. well a pretty mainstream fantasy comic. Just in case anyone would like to read it, I'll let you know when it's up.. I want at least 10 pages to show and five to buffer with, before I make it to the web.

Well.. that's it I suppose.. just poppin in like usual.

Back