Processing Video.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't able to get proper dislocation using a similar technique, so I stuck with the broomstick. But your technique is a little different than the one I tried to imitate, looks more reliable.

Yet another "thank you," Grumpy. I'm a near-newbie (processed my 18th-21st rabbits last night!), and this answered alot of questions that I didn't even know to ask when I was first learning.

JulieCunicole":2m2d24d8 said:
Yet another "thank you," Grumpy. I'm a near-newbie (processed my 18th-21st rabbits last night!), and this answered alot of questions that I didn't even know to ask when I was first learning.

I'm glad it helped. Although I made this video for a processor writing protocols
for a USDA certification, I knew it would be a great help for those just
beginning to process their own family meat or meat for re-sale where
it's allowed by state law.

Over the last 40 years, I've processed literally thousands of rabbits.
These methods are the culmination of all those years processing rabbits.
I've tried to make this as simple, and contaminate-free as possible. Thus far
it's been well accepted by everyone who's viewed it.

The "dislocation" portion in the beginning has been the "toughest" part for
folks to master. It takes a fair amount of upper-body strength and a
bunch of practice.
Grumpy.

The next time I go to process some rabbits, now I know how to get the bone away from the rest of the hind foot so I can make keychains out of them. I have one foot that my friend did that didn't have the bone attached but all the feet that i did still had the bone. But, now I know!!

~SDR

Has the video been taken down? I watched it not too long ago, and since I"m doing in rabbits tonite I wanted a refresher. Sad, it won't load for either size of video.

It worked, I just needed a newer computer. My 10 year old laptop might need to be replaced sometime soon :roll:
What a great video, thank you Grumpy!

portia":1vxjontz said:
It worked, I just needed a newer computer. My 10 year old laptop might need to be replaced sometime soon :roll:
What a great video, thank you Grumpy!

You're welcome....Glad you liked it. :D

Grumpy.

Frankallen":3q33qlbl said:
This is a great Processing Video!! Thanks for uploading!!

squidpop":3q33qlbl said:
Wow, that video made me feel like I could even do it.

KFhunter":3q33qlbl said:
I knew you were a trapper before you even got done showing the tools :D
Thanks for the video

I'm glad each of you enjoyed it. I had a good time putting it together with
my good friend Keith Foster. He also does the covers for my novels.

He and I have been thinking about putting together a 30-45 minute video
over the basics of keeping and producing meat rabbits. His health is a
concern in this heat, so we may have to hold off till cooler weather.
Anyways, it's something to look forward to later in the year.

grumpy.

grumpy":df62p78p said:
He and I have been thinking about putting together a 30-45 minute video
over the basics of keeping and producing meat rabbits. His health is a
concern in this heat, so we may have to hold off till cooler weather.
Anyways, it's something to look forward to later in the year.

grumpy.
That would be awesome!! :D

Great video.

Just a question on the age of the bunnies you processed in the video. They don't look very old at all. May be just 8 weeks, max 10 weeks? Is that right?

Is this the standard processing age in USA? I usually do mine a bit later up to 13 weeks, when they dress out to about 4 pounds each. That's always what I thought they meant with 4-5 pounds per bunny, but I see you using that number for the live weight?

I guess it does not matter at all and depends on preferences. But what meals can you easily get out of a small bunny. Is there much meat on anything but the hind legs?

heike1a2b3c":2jcvd198 said:
Great video.

Just a question on the age of the bunnies you processed in the video. They don't look very old at all. May be just 8 weeks, max 10 weeks? Is that right?
Just barely 9 weeks when I butchered them.

Is this the standard processing age in USA? I usually do mine a bit later up to 13 weeks, when they dress out to about 4 pounds each. That's always what I thought they meant with 4-5 pounds per bunny, but I see you using that number for the live weight?
Most folks like a larger rabbit. I do not. I've been
processing rabbits in this size range for over 4 decades.

I guess it does not matter at all and depends on preferences. But what meals can you easily get out of a small bunny. Is there much meat on anything but the hind legs?
A rabbit weighing 2.25 to 2.4 pounds will feed two people.
These rabbits are extremely tender when butchered at this age.
A large majority of them are "fried" like chicken at this size.
Hence, the name "fryers". A large majority of the chefs that buy
my stock prefer larger rabbits. Consequently, I ship rabbits to the
processor that weigh between 5.5 and 6.25 pounds live weight.
Beyond the above weights, the costs of adding additional meat to the
rabbit prohibits any profits.
Plus, they are becoming more of a "roaster" size and age when they
get that big.

Hope this helps.
grumpy.

Hi Grumpy,

Thank you so much for clarifying things from your side. I am glad that I estimated correctly.

I have always been too scared of doing them so early, in case there just is nothing on them and because my family consists of 4 people.

A bigger bunny does 500g leg meat for one meal (used like chicken) and the rest does a lovely stock and soup with excess meat.

I have not found them too tough yet at all, but they do eat a lot. I reduce costs by feeding lots of natural food from around the garden, (which is set up for their feeding specifications, and not just weeds).

Again thanks for the video and I did not want to detract from this thread much at all.

Back