Help with New Rabbit's Hurt Ear- Pics Inside

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margali

Reaction score
Everyone meet Cadbury. His ear was injured 2 or 3 days ago by the 6 yr old who owned him. :evil:
IMAG0099.jpg

So far I know he is a boy (penis easy to spot but no testicles showing) and a REW. His right ear is swollen with blood like a big blister.
IMAG0095.jpg

Any ideas for treating it? It doesn't seem to hurt him and I'm told it was swollen worse when it first happened.

Sorry if pics are too big. I uploaded them as small to Photobucket.

Margali

i can see that the ear is hung down, but I can't see what is wrong with it.

Overall...I would give him something for pain (if he's acting like he is in pain), and just give him time. If concerned I would bring him to a vet. Could be that the ear base is damaged and he'll never recover from the damage.

By "never recover from the damage" I assume you mean the ear will be permanently limp, Ladysown... and not that the rabbit will continue to suffer. There may be permanent damage to the appearance, but that the actual injury should heal... sort of like my crooked finger from breaking it when I was a kid. Looks a bit funny but works just fine. :)

Congratulations on your new Cadburry Bunny! whooohooo!! He's a cutie!

The ear is just so sensitive on rabbits I'm finding. goodness. I'm thinking some pain meds and perhaps a bit of icing (just short time) might help with the swelling. Aspirin (very small dose) should be fine since they relish Willow (same chemical) or if you happen to HAVE willow growing around your area somewhere, go grab a couple of wands/fronds/branches/twigs and pop one in his cage, put a couple more in water to force some greens for him.

The problem was probably
caused by damage the the Cartilage in the ear.
Ear will probably never be the same as the other
none affected ear, but should function fine.
That's the trouble with having very young
inexperienced children handling Rabbits unsupervised.
I hope you have many years of enjoyment with Cadburry.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yep he's a cutie and a sweetie. He didn't try and get away or make any noise when I touched the ear so I don't think he's in severe pain.

I will try some ice this evening. How much is a small dose of aspirin?

Ahhhhh he is cute! I get the feeling he was picked up by his ear and dragged around? It kinda looks like it has happened more than once too. Glad you got him out of that situation and hope he feels better soon!! :)

Update: ear seems a little less swollen and is slightly hotter than other ear. I applied ice for 5 minutes by resting the ear on top of an ice cube. I did not hold Cadbury in place while doing this so I guess the ice felt good.

Anntann -> Cadbury weighs 2.2lbs, so how much asprin is safe? Will it thin his blood and make more pool in the hurt ear?

You can try clove oil as a topical pain reliever, or perhaps a teething pain product
At just over 2 pounds, it would be very difficult to give a small enough dose of aspirin( 10 pound rabbit gets 20mg 2x a day)--find some willow
The ear looks like the hematomas that dogs and cats get from hitting the loose part hard against a surface== like scratching too hard-- boxers ear ! The area between the skin and muscle fills up with blood and other fluids.

Update- The bad ear is standing up on its own! It is only a bit thicker han the uninjured ear now.

Treatment plan- Splinted ear to uninjured one with bandage tape to keep ear unbent to help ear base heal correctly. My friend Lauren (vet tech) lanced it twice to get some blood out and reduce pressure in the ear.

Cadbury has been a sweetie with the whole thing. Only bad habit is jumping at my hand as I put food in and dodging being picked up. He hasn't bit me just headbutted my hand.

I'm so sorry I didn't follow up. (also surprised no one else answered the question about aspirin, but I suppose it's not a common thing)

For future reference, there's a handy online Rx calculator for most things for rabbits. They recommend 1 baby aspirin per day. me..I'd reduce that to 1/2 to start and make sure the rabbit doesn't have a reaction to it.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

That fine, Ann. I didn't bump because I had what I needed, 10lbs = 20mg twice per day. That means 2lbs = 4mg twice per day.

10mg baby asprin in 10mL water gives 1 mg asprin/1 mL water. Then I feed him 4mL of water for his dose. :)

Back