When to introduce bunnies to each other?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
I have 2 bunnies (both girls). One is a Netherland Dwarf that is almost 3 months old and the other (Dutch) we just bought last Sunday. They told us that she *should* be 6 weeks old but I'm thinking she might be a little younger because of her small size.

Anyways, I have tried putting them together (outside of their cages) for a little while and the older bunny seems to be aggressive. I'm not entirely sure if she is showing signs of aggressive or If I'm just being overly protective of the smaller bunny. When they are together they are fine for a bit, doing their own thing, then the older one will kinda nip (or so it looks like) and kind of try to climb on the little ones head. The little one then runs away frantically. When the little one is in her cage and the other one is out they will "sniff" each other through the cage and the little one will sometimes run away quickly. Is that normal behavior?

I have their cages next to each other (not touching) so hopefully that will help. I've read online that you shouldn't introduce bunnies until they have been fixed but both of them are too young still.

For those that have experience with this... should I keep on trying the bonding process or should I wait until the little one is bigger? I don't want the little bunny to get hurt (if that is what the bigger one is trying to do) but I'm also worried that they won't bond if I wait too long.

Suggestions? Please?! Thank you! :)

Ideally you should quarantine rabbits from different sources for at least 30 days so if one becomes sick from the stress of a new home the other wont catch it.

Since you've already exposed them to each other we'll just have to hope they stay healthy.

The behaviour you're describing is normal dominance behaviour from the older female. Rarely is severe damage done and once the pecking order has been established there will be fewer and fewer fights - until they become teenagers in a couple months :( the fighting may start again once their hormones kick in and these can be bloodier.

As long as the cage you want them to share is big enough and with several levels and spots to hide if one doe becomes bossy, it should be fine.

Back