Is my doe killing her kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmybunnys

Reaction score
Last time my doe kindle 8 kits all seem to be healthy. Half of them mysteriously died. Last night she kindled 5 all were dead by the time i went to check on them. I dont understand. She was a wonderful mom the first time she kindled. Anyone have a guess whats going on? <br /><br /> -- Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 pm -- <br /><br /> And is it ok to go ahead and breed her again?

The most common cause of death of new kits is chilling. Sometimes the doe does not pull enough fur or does not cover them well enough. They are very vulnerable to chilling in the first couple of days.

That said, sometimes kits look dead when they are only comatose from cold. There is a saying that they are not dead until they are warm and dead. Sometimes warming them will bring them back from the brink.

Please don't feel bad. How could you know? I hesitated to mention resuscitating apparently dead kits but felt you needed to know to at least try this another time. It doesn't work all the time, but it is worth a shot.

Go ahead and rebreed your doe. Does are usually easy to rebreed just after kindling.

Latest posts

Back