Anyone Else Excited??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
My mom's started digging out my compost piles!! Very exciting to see them disappear, even if it is slowly but surely.

Anyone else have their compost piles disappearing, and feeling the excitement? I don't care what anyone says, mid spring is the most wonderful time of the year.

We don't have compost piles yet - but we've gone through 28 bags of purchased compost... and counting! My first seedlings (I'm behind) started sprouting yesterday, I'm potting them up today, and it IS exciting!

Yeah, my husband just moved last years huge compost pile to fill up some of the retaining walls. A new one was started...and the red worms survived and thrived throughout that harsh winter! I have a HUGE red worm colony this year. :D

Well I'm excited that someone came and took the manure pile away, but that's probably not what you are thinking...

I laid out a new pattern for the side and back garden beds. Need to lay out the pallets soon. Boy that manure was heavy. Digging it up and shifting the layout gave me a back ache, but I'm gonna drop those 7 winter lbs for sure.

I just hate looking at it, and I know my neighbour behind me hated looking at it. It was also about to the point where it was going to overflow the container.

I've been spreading it in my own gardens, but spring was so late this year that stuff isn't up yet, so I haven't been able to spread it as thickly as I'd like. I've got piles of it sitting at the edges of some beds that I don't know where the stuff is, lol. Gotta wait for the late comers to poke through so I can spread it!

YES!!

We have a compost bin, and it is normally sufficient for our needs. However...this past summer a friend talked to my hubby and asked if we wanted some composted horse manure, as he had way too much. Hubby said yes, of course, unknowing what was to come. A few days later, the friend drives up in his DUMP TRUCK, which is full of manure. So, we ended up spending the last many months with a mini mountain of compost in addition to our regular bin.

We are adding a few beds this year, so the mountain is slowly crumbling. I am so glad.

Planted Purple Majesty potatoes today, moved at least a ton, of timothy hay/rabbit poop/wood stove pellets, from where I work ,to cover them, [so they are easier to dig]-- I only got one row done before I ran out-- but ,that is about 300 ft of potatoes done... so-- now to bring home more "mulch" and plant red pontiac, landrace, and maris piper...
I plan on bringing home a lot more, to "mulch" between kale, carrot, chicory, sugar beet, radish, kohlrabi, corn, etc.--...
--then I will get into my own manure stash...

Back