gluten-free spicy oven-fried rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiL

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks! We just enjoyed a great adaptation of a chicken tenders recipe last night, and I wanted to share it. I found it on some paleo website somewhere (sorry I can't give them proper credit), where it was called "Paleo "KFC" Chicken Tenders." I wanted to try it because it sounded nice and spicy, and seemed to require only a little effort since there's only a baking step, no frying involved. I went with potato starch throughout, and full dairy. The rabbit was a nice young fryer, jointed into legs and tenderloins (spine and such all reserved for stock, belly flaps saved for rabbit bacon). I put all of it in the oven at once, and it was all done by 40 minutes with no overcooking of the smaller boneless parts.

Spicy Oven-Fried Rabbit (gluten-free)
1 rabbit fryer, jointed into legs and loins with remaining carcass saved for other uses
Wet mixture:
1/4 cup hot sauce (I use Franks Original Hot Sauce)
5 Tbs Butter (Dairy or Nondairy)
1 Tbs Starch (Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
5 Tbs Milk (Dairy or Nondairy)
Breading:
1/2 Cup Tapioca (Or Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a microwave safe bowl combine wet mixture ingredients and heat until thickened in the microwave (1-2 minutes) or on the stove top in a sauce pan. If using the microwave whisk liberally as soon as you remove the bowl. If using the sauce pan- whisk continually while it thickens.
In another bowl combine breading ingredients.
Drop rabbit into wet mixture and then heavily dredge in breading mixture; place on foil lined baking sheet. Repeat until all rabbit pieces have been coated. Drizzle rabbit with a little oil (I actually forgot this step, and it turned out fine).
Place rabbit in oven for 35-40 minutes; rabbit will be golden brown and cooked through!

Enjoy; I know we did!

Back