rabbit not eating as much

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardenbunny

Reaction score
I have a 9 month old nzw doe that I breed two weeks ago, she was quite an eater and started eating more( and being more playful) when she was breed. but a few days ago I moved her to an outside hutch ( which is normally beside the buck's hutch but since we're putting a few extras on it it was moved to in front of the bucks' hutch). since moving her outside her appetite went down significantly. is she just nervous to eat with the bucks starring at her or is she just adjusting to her new hutch. she's eating some but hardly any.

the hutch will be moved into its proper spot tonight, hopefully she goes back to eating tons

She may have been put off by the change of location. I hope she starts eating better when you have her back in her accustomed spot.

One very important consideration is her water supply. If you use a bottle or water system, please double check to make sure it is working correctly. You might even offer her a crock of water as well. A rabbit won't eat if it can't drink... and more than one person has lost an otherwise healthy rabbit to dehydration because the water bottle looked full but was non-functional.

Is she pooping and peeing normally? When I am in doubt, I spread a newspaper under the cage so I can see at a glance what the rabbit is producing.

Good luck! :clover: Hope to hear soon that all is well.

she is drinking a lot so she must be eating i was just used to her finishing a whole bowl in 1 day not 2-3 days, she used to have newspaper under her cage when it was unfinished and inside, but now its outside and i put a piece of wood in it, for her to stand on and to keep wind out( it was super windy here) she's been pooping on the wood part so i know she's pooping.

thank you for the information, good fact to know. that's why i appreciate this forum so much, any knowledge i lack and fail to find i can ask and usually get help. thank you

no bunnies dying here though i had an unsuccessful try last year, i took in a friend's unwanted pet( 3 yr old rex doe) to go with a buck and two hutches i received as gifts. i know now she was too old since she was a pet she was never bred before. she did not get pregnant (twice), but had false pregnancy( gathering hay and making a nest). we had a friend who raises rabbits come show us how to butcher her and kept the male since he was from a nice show rabbitry

I have three does, two nzw and a Cali. The best of the three a large nzw quit eating two weeks after breeding (had been the one to eat the beat previous) and had me very nervous right up to kindling her liter. After she kindled her appetite came back with a vengeance. I was relieved as she was the fastest growing, best nest builder and had 10 young on her first try. My plan is to start building up my number of does and it looks like her young will be the best stock for this purpose.

It's always a worry when a rabbit suddenly eats less than normal, but there is a big difference between not eating and eating less than usual. Maybe this decrease in appetite is normal for some pregnant does. In a colony like mine, it is impossible to tell when a rabbit eats less, unless it begins to lose weight. But I have always watched for listlessness and lack of interest at feeding time. If they come running for the greens, I figure their appetites are fine.

MaggieJ":buache6d said:
It's always a worry when a rabbit suddenly eats less than normal, but there is a big difference between not eating and eating less than usual. Maybe this decrease in appetite is normal for some pregnant does. In a colony like mine, it is impossible to tell when a rabbit eats less, unless it begins to lose weight. But I have always watched for listlessness and lack of interest at feeding time. If they come running for the greens, I figure their appetites are fine.

you are right i mislabeled it. she was just eating a lot less but she seems to be eating more now, almost time for bunny watch. thanks for the help everyone :D <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07 pm __________ <br /><br />
tfox3":buache6d said:
I have three does, two nzw and a Cali. The best of the three a large nzw quit eating two weeks after breeding (had been the one to eat the beat previous) and had me very nervous right up to kindling her liter. After she kindled her appetite came back with a vengeance. I was relieved as she was the fastest growing, best nest builder and had 10 young on her first try. My plan is to start building up my number of does and it looks like her young will be the best stock for this purpose.

oh thank you! glad someone else had that too, hope my girl is a good mommy. my other doe is almost breeding age too. i love spring! thanks you!

They will eat less near their due date and with temp changes. Usually temp changes toward warmer weather lessens appetite more often than changes toward cooler. They don't need as much to keep their body heat up and they don't want the heat generated by digestion. Some will go off feed a little when surroundings change.

watch the poop size-- if it gets a lot smaller then usual, then she is having some digestion trouble, and she should get a little dandelion or some other GI stimulant feed added.-- but-- if it all looks "normal"-- and is just eating a little less-- then-- it is "normal" and probly "no worries"..

Back