Register

Need some grooming advice HELP

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,215.00

Need some grooming advice HELP

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ckcs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:39 pm

I am new to Angora Rabbits. I have 3 French Angoras that are about 3 months old. Since they were little I have been brushing them and things seemed to be going well. The past week or two I discovered that I was doing an inadequate job grooming them. I brushed them on the top and sides. The underbellies I checked and they were not bad. I found out that the area on the lower sides at the front and back are getting matted. I'm guessing my grooming was completely missing those areas. As a result I have areas that are a little smaller than a golf ball that are matted. The fur is clean, it just all knotted up. I've been trying for days to work the mats out and can't seem to get them out. I've trimmed some of the fur in that area and it helps but the mats seem close to the skin. I will pay more attention to those areas in the future but for now do you have any tips for working out mats.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Re: Need some grooming advice HELP

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:05 pm

I use a very dull steak knife to carefully cut the fur when it is close to the skin - as rabbit fur is so fine, just a little pressure should cause it to break.

A single scissor blade can also work.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Don't beat yourself up. I am one of those people that shears my jr woolies and Angora. kit and jr wool does not have a lot of guard hair and it matts very easily. If you did the best you could, and they still matted, then you probably have a line that would benefit from shearing coats from 8-12 weeks old.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

The following user would like to thank skysthelimit for this post
TDUBshop

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ckcs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Dood wrote:I use a very dull steak knife to carefully cut the fur when it is close to the skin - as rabbit fur is so fine, just a little pressure should cause it to break.

A single scissor blade can also work.

I will try that thank you

__________ Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:13 pm __________

skysthelimit wrote:Don't beat yourself up. I am one of those people that shears my jr woolies and Angora. kit and jr wool does not have a lot of guard hair and it matts very easily. If you did the best you could, and they still matted, then you probably have a line that would benefit from shearing coats from 8-12 weeks old.

I gather the adult coats are easier to work with?

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,528.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Adult coats are much easier to work with. I'm not sure I would go the steak knife route personally. I cut into the mat at a 90 degree angle and go to town with the brush after. Just be careful not to cut the skin.
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Breeding German Angoras and hybrids*

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#6  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:30 pm

I like to use an afro pick.

Any adult coat that is not easier to work with gets culled from the breeding program. REWs seem to be the worst all around. Only my adult REW Woolies matt.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,528.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 pm

That's an interesting thought, my rEW doe is my easiest keeper. I don't think I've ever see a mat on her!
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Breeding German Angoras and hybrids*

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ckcs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:49 pm

skysthelimit wrote:I like to use an afro pick.

Any adult coat that is not easier to work with gets culled from the breeding program. REWs seem to be the worst all around. Only my adult REW Woolies matt.

I'll have to get one. My wife just informed me that I would not be using hers lol

Site Supporter
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,293.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Random Rabbit » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 am

on one of the Jersey Wooly forums... there was a suggestion of using a Seam Ripper to get thru mats. It is quite small and easy to maneuver in tiny places.
Jersey Woolies
CM Homestead
https://www.facebook.com/cmhomestead

Post Number:#10  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Seam rippers are awsome too, but because it's so small, I always loose mine. When I leave this house, I bet I'll find seam rippers under all the furniture.

__________ Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:31 pm __________

ckcs wrote:
skysthelimit wrote:I like to use an afro pick.

I'll have to get one. My wife just informed me that I would not be using hers lol

Lol. I use them to comb sheep wool for spinning. I figured if they work for my hard hair, they would work for the wool.