Need some grooming advice HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I am new to Angora Rabbits. I have 3 French Angoras that are about 3 months old. Since they were little I have been brushing them and things seemed to be going well. The past week or two I discovered that I was doing an inadequate job grooming them. I brushed them on the top and sides. The underbellies I checked and they were not bad. I found out that the area on the lower sides at the front and back are getting matted. I'm guessing my grooming was completely missing those areas. As a result I have areas that are a little smaller than a golf ball that are matted. The fur is clean, it just all knotted up. I've been trying for days to work the mats out and can't seem to get them out. I've trimmed some of the fur in that area and it helps but the mats seem close to the skin. I will pay more attention to those areas in the future but for now do you have any tips for working out mats.

I use a very dull steak knife to carefully cut the fur when it is close to the skin - as rabbit fur is so fine, just a little pressure should cause it to break.

A single scissor blade can also work.

Don't beat yourself up. I am one of those people that shears my jr woolies and Angora. kit and jr wool does not have a lot of guard hair and it matts very easily. If you did the best you could, and they still matted, then you probably have a line that would benefit from shearing coats from 8-12 weeks old.

Dood":10f5lpjp said:
I use a very dull steak knife to carefully cut the fur when it is close to the skin - as rabbit fur is so fine, just a little pressure should cause it to break.

A single scissor blade can also work.

I will try that thank you <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:13 pm __________ <br /><br />
skysthelimit":10f5lpjp said:
Don't beat yourself up. I am one of those people that shears my jr woolies and Angora. kit and jr wool does not have a lot of guard hair and it matts very easily. If you did the best you could, and they still matted, then you probably have a line that would benefit from shearing coats from 8-12 weeks old.

I gather the adult coats are easier to work with?

Adult coats are much easier to work with. I'm not sure I would go the steak knife route personally. I cut into the mat at a 90 degree angle and go to town with the brush after. Just be careful not to cut the skin.

I like to use an afro pick.

Any adult coat that is not easier to work with gets culled from the breeding program. REWs seem to be the worst all around. Only my adult REW Woolies matt.

skysthelimit":3olslnyq said:

Any adult coat that is not easier to work with gets culled from the breeding program. REWs seem to be the worst all around. Only my adult REW Woolies matt.

I'll have to get one. My wife just informed me that I would not be using hers lol

Seam rippers are awsome too, but because it's so small, I always loose mine. When I leave this house, I bet I'll find seam rippers under all the furniture. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:31 pm __________ <br /><br />
ckcs":sgm9hswl said:
skysthelimit":sgm9hswl said:

I'll have to get one. My wife just informed me that I would not be using hers lol

Lol. I use them to comb sheep wool for spinning. I figured if they work for my hard hair, they would work for the wool.

Back