"Dead rabbit" picture thread

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CochinBrahmaLover":3uk9hy6r said:
So my herd sire was sitting next to me (he's being baby sat... Stinker dug out of his pen!) and flopped down and is dead.

He probably died of happiness "I'm a house bunny now!"

bobqdevon":3uk9hy6r said:
I got one! I finally got one!!!!!

:congratulations:

Welcome to the Dead Rabbit Society.

I sure had fun looking through all of these.
Here's some snuggling Velveteens, a sr buck (bottom) and doe (top).
otp_velveteens_by_phelixas-d6mbq0f.jpg

otp_2_by_phelixas-d6mbqd0.jpg

Our cat plays too. One of us is always stepping over him and saying "cat died again."

This was my Second Flemish Giant, I got her as I was getting into breeding.
I bought her at a reptile expo where she was being sold as a feeder.
I bought her to breed meat/cull rabbits for their pelts to practice my taxidermy and meat as snacks for my dogs

I never thought it would turn into me turning my basement into a rabbitry. It was supposed to be just a hobby.
Anyway this was without a doubt the WORST doe I ever had. When I got her, I didn't know she was pregnant (nor did her breeder otherwise he wouldn't have sold her because he's a byb greeder and probably would have charged me for her unborn babies if he knew.) Anyway I had her for a week before she gave birth to 8 kits. I heard squeaking and went to check (this photo is before the babies were born) and I seen she had little babies.

She didn't feed them, didn't want them, stepped on and squashed one. The other seven I rushed to bottle feed and stayed with them 24/7. they slept next to me in my bed, in an old hoodie hood with the rest of the hoodie folded into the shape of a nest after. I had a heat pad under the hood at all times and I tried everything I could but they did not make it ): I raised them and bottle fed them for three days watching them all slowly die. So after that long explanation here's what you were waiting for:

t5q4ba.jpg

She laid down like this a lot and I often had to touch her to make sure she was still alive.

Miss M":v7axna1u said:
Sorry about her litter, Skyrocket, but that's an awesome "dead" rabbit picture! :lol:

Thanks. I was devastated to lose them It was my very first litter of baby bunnies and I hadn't even bred for them. I think they were premature..

This was my makeshift bunny nest:
rvzrxe.jpg

j6jtwh.jpg

Aw, cute little popples! They don't look premature... it just sounds like the doe had no idea what to do with them. Very common in first-timers. :(

Miss M":15enfdv5 said:
Aw, cute little popples! They don't look premature... it just sounds like the doe had no idea what to do with them. Very common in first-timers. :(

Yeah. I guess I only thought premature because it didn't seem right and if you move a super pregnant Doe it causes issues. Well she was put from her pen/hutch to a carrier to this guys car, taken on a road trip to the Reptile Expo, hauled into a building in a travel cage, put on a table and then when I bought her was put into a box, put into my car hauled 11 - 12 miles back to my home put in a cage and left alone other than feeding and giving water for a few days to decompress.

I later found out this guy I got her from is a bad backyard breeder in every aspect. He brings to the expos, a new litter of puppies every month (usually min pins or labs or lab mixes). He says he breeds his dogs, rabbits, snakes, chickens and some other crap. His animals are factories for him and he hasn't brought rabbits since I bought this doe. I'm tempted to get his business card and have his property inspected but that's probably another thread.

I agree that if he didn't know or didn't tell you that she was pregnant, he's an irresponsible breeder. We can all have "oops" litters, but it isn't that common.

By the way, we do encourage terms like "irresponsible breeder" or "unethical breeder" rather than "backyard breeder" here. :) Many of us here at RT (myself included) breed and raise rabbits in our backyards, so "backyard breeder" is a bit misleading. It has been given a negative connotation that it shouldn't have.

This may seem to be nitpicking, but we recently had a couple of new members who went through this. One, being familiar with "backyard breeder" being a bad thing, used the term that way. The other came in worrying, "Oh no... I keep my rabbits in the backyard... is that bad? Do I need to move them? Maybe I can find room for some of them inside..."

So that's why we try to use phrases like "irresponsible breeder" instead. :)

Miss M":1k5ziesj said:
I agree that if he didn't know or didn't tell you that she was pregnant, he's an irresponsible breeder. We can all have "oops" litters, but it isn't that common.

By the way, we do encourage terms like "irresponsible breeder" or "unethical breeder" rather than "backyard breeder" here. :) Many of us here at RT (myself included) breed and raise rabbits in our backyards, so "backyard breeder" is a bit misleading. It has been given a negative connotation that it shouldn't have.

This may seem to be nitpicking, but we recently had a couple of new members who went through this. One, being familiar with "backyard breeder" being a bad thing, used the term that way. The other came in worrying, "Oh no... I keep my rabbits in the backyard... is that bad? Do I need to move them? Maybe I can find room for some of them inside..."

oh okay. I typically use irresponsible or unethical but because i do a lot of rescue work with dogs the byb is always used. its not meant to be taken literally as 'they breed in their backyard' it's just meant to mean that they've know real knowledge on what they're doing and don't care to follow any morals or ethics. I can see where the confusion comes in to play though. I'll try to break the habit of the term, i never did quite care for the term anyway it's just something that stuck. My rabbits are in the backyard most of the year, I bring them in the basement if I feel it's too cold (even though I know they can withstand the cold) or I simply just don't want to trek out there all winter.

Skyrocket":3rgigz3y said:
Miss M":3rgigz3y said:

oh okay. I typically use irresponsible or unethical but because i do a lot of rescue work with dogs the byb is always used. its not meant to be taken literally as 'they breed in their backyard' it's just meant to mean that they've know real knowledge on what they're doing and don't care to follow any morals or ethics. I can see where the confusion comes in to play though. I'll try to break the habit of the term, i never did quite care for the term anyway it's just something that stuck. My rabbits are in the backyard most of the year, I bring them in the basement if I feel it's too cold (even though I know they can withstand the cold) or I simply just don't want to trek out there all winter.

Agreed w/regard to the bolded text. The origin of the phrase "back yard breeder (BYB)," at least in Dog Rescue Land, is with regard to people who just put a male and female together in the "back yard" and breed them together, with no regard for health checks, health tests, inter-relatedness of the dogs (random breeding, line breeding, i.e. no plan at all), or doubling up on recessives (no research on the pedigrees). In Dog Rescue Land, there are two kinds of breeders: Responsible (Ethical) Breeders and Back Yard Breeders. In fact, the acronym BYB shows up in some in-house Berner Rescue leaflets.

In Rabbit Land, many rabbits are (very responsibly!) housed outdoors and different vocab may be helpful, but I thought that perhaps knowing a bit more about the origin of the phrase in Dog Rescue Land might shed some light. :)

Thanks, DCM... It doesn't surprise me that the term came out of dog breeding. Though there are probably plenty of responsible dog breeders who have their operations in their backyards, as well?

But it would definitely be helpful not to use the term here, as the confusion I mentioned wasn't the first time we had to sort things out over the phrase. :) We don't generally have a strictness of terms here on RT, but some things just cause too much confusion.

Miss M":3mn6ujnj said:
Thanks, DCM... It doesn't surprise me that the term came out of dog breeding. Though there are probably plenty of responsible dog breeders who have their operations in their backyards, as well?

But it would definitely be helpful not to use the term here, as the confusion I mentioned wasn't the first time we had to sort things out over the phrase. :) We don't generally have a strictness of terms here on RT, but some things just cause too much confusion.

There are plenty of responsible breeders who have farm land that they breed their dogs on, That's the way I hope to breed working lined dobermann, on my (future) farm along with several other critters (rabbits and my other half wants chickens ;; ). BYB stems from unethical breeding and I'm not sure when the term was coined. I never really understood why it was used over "unethical" but I understand the confusion that would come from it! again, I'm sorry!

Not to worry. :) This forum has some particularly touchy issues it deals with (like meat rabbits). Therefore, it has some very specific needs concerning terminology sometimes. Give yourself time. :)

Latest posts

Back