Apprehensive Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyrocket

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently purchased three rabbits 1 buck and 2 does and one of my does, Calypso, was fine the day she came home with me but the next day when I went in to feed, water and spend time with the rabbits she was apprehensive. When I reach in the pen she huffs and everywhere I move my hand she watches and follows it. If I try to pet her back she jumps and turns immediately to face my hand. I'm hoping she'll calm down but she was not like this the day she came in. I thought I'd give her a couple days to calm down and get used to her surroundings but she's not calming down at all. She's still apprehensive and jumpy, I can't even reach in to put the food bowl down for her. Any idea why her behavior changed literally overnight?

michaels4gardens":37gwic1i said:
is there a chance something has frightened her? --and-- you might want to give her a box . with a access hole in it, to hide in to make her feel a little more secure.[if she does not have a "hiding place" ]

I imagine Zelda (the dober in my avatar) may have startled her but it's doubtful as Zelda isn't allowed on that side of the basement and it's gated off. She has a box to go in and relax, everybunny gets a hide box to snuggle down in and hide when they're frightened. It's possible she's still frightened from the move too but our house isn't incredibly loud, too much loud noise triggers anxiety attacks for me so we walk softly and audio on anything is soft. It makes for happy bunnies too. The dogs don't always understand the walk softly and they do play rough and get loud so maybe the dogs are spooking her. I'll move her to a different spot and see if that helps.

michaels4gardens":2jgz8b6u said:
if the house is very quiet, -- and then suddenly the dogs are playing loudly, -- you might have a little soft music playing in the background for a while, to lessen the "startling" when there is noise.

I wouldn't say the noise is "sudden" it's a progression that starts with faster movements and then quickly progresses into full on play. I'll start leaving music or the television on until we move them all outside. If she's still apprehensive afterward I'm going to assume she stayed quite and passive the first day & car ride home because she was scared. She craftily escaped her cage at about 4 this morning and I was able to grab her and place her back in her pen and secure it. She may just have never been handled and doesn't like to be touched. I'll figure her out one of these days.

Latest posts

Back