Day 35 tomm--no kits.. Concern or not?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
Curly was on the clock this past Monday; she made a nice nest and has maintained it all week--no eating, defecating etc. Still no kits--and she is swollen. She is eating, drinking, pleasant, but full. Any thoughts? She has had two litters with me last Autumn; both on day 30...

thx

I have only had 3 days overdue at the max. Hoping all is well. Let's hope you miss marked the calendar.
Did you palpate and find kits? Is there any way to induce a rabbit that you know is bred?
B~

I simply do not know the answer to this... I've never had it happen. My tendency, though, is not to intervene unless there is an indication of distress. Some does have been known to kindle very, very late. It's not common but it does happen.

Is there any possibility you have the day count wrong? Or did you perhaps breed her a second time at an interval after the day you are counting from?

I had a doe go on Day 36 once. Her third litter and she had always been day 31, so I pulled the box on Day 35. The next morning she had 4 kits (very small litter) that were fully furred on the wire. None of them made it and I felt really bad :weep:

Now I always leave the box until the end of Day 36 or even Day 37, just in case.

Cathleen (who I got Mama-san from) told me that while Mama was really consistent in her kindling over the year, she had ONE that was abnormal. 36 days, with 1 HUGE HUGE kit and 6? others that were starting to fur nicely. The HUGE one was DOA, 2 of the others died the first day. All of the kits were really big. She said it was like kindling had been delayed (probably from the 1 huge kit getting stuck maybe?) and the others had just continued to grow inside..fed constantly by the umbilical cord...until the big one finally died and got out of the way.

I've had does with false pregancies go to day 36-8
then they usually start to "forget" (it's the only word I can think of though it's not quite right) they thought they were pregnant and move on ...

Concern, yes, worry, no. I had never had a rabbit go over 31 days untill about a month ago when the weather was very cold. I am not sure exactly when the doe kindled, I think it was day 35.... I had already given up on her... good thing I hadn't pulled the nestbox, but she looked and acted pregnant.

Back