What is a good price for angora wool?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...

1) Are you offering it, or asking what you should expect to pay for it?

2) Is the wool "fresh off the bunny," or has it been carded/combed into either roving or top?

3) How long is the staple? Spinners/knitters should expect to pay more for very long-staple angora wool and slightly less for normal-staple wool.

4) How much are you offering/buying at once? I've paid anywhere from $8/oz for regular Angora staple to $18/oz for long-staple English Angora combed top to a price I refuse to write on the Net for 1 pound of English Angora at one go. The breeder was so pleased to make a large sale that she gave me a truly generous discount on the full pound. OTOH, I've seen Angora wool offered on Etsy for anywhere from $4 to $8/oz; no specifics on breed, staple length, or cleaned/combed/carded vs. raw fiber.

and, last but not least,

5) Who is the market? Where are the potential customers/buyers located? If the wool is being offered on the Net, a higher price may work. If in a low-budget area (and I've seen some breeders on this list cite truly execrably low prices for both meat and wool), you'll need to see what other Angora breeders are actually getting per ounce.

HTH. :)

From what I have seen on eBay it fetches $5 - $10 an ounce plus shipping. If you already sell on eBay and have a store I'd expect to be at top of range.

Whatever the market will bear, based on type of Angora, staple length, prime area collected from, sometimes sheared or plucked, ratio of guard hairs/wool.

My average price is 10$ an ounce and that is for locks all in perfect order. Satin angora is more. I did sell an ounce of my giant for 35$ once. Again, perfectly ordered. The locks were 11 inches, plucked.

Latest posts

Back