shipping?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohhhhhhhhhh dragorama

k- how far is the journey?

my preference for long trips (and my animals have made LONG trips coast to coast in fact)
is by car relay if possible while it can take a little longer there is less room for error - in my experience anyhow
if by flight I like them to be accompanied or at the very least loaded on plane and directly flown to end destination (or adoptor) - too many horror stories otherwise
next option is train - direct to direct - no changes enroute

most of the problems I hear about are shipping that transfers them from means of travel to other means ...

another thought is to see if a long haul trucker or mover might have regular route going the way the bunnies need to go ...

It's approximately 700miles. 11hours, interstate all the way.

I hadn't thought about the train. That would work quite nicely since it's on the amtrack route. Trucker might work, too. Again...it's interstate, and on the longhaul route to the west coast. Thanks for the ideas :)

I have shipped by plane. It takes some coordination to ensure that the buyer is at the airport at the time of arrival. Generally the buyer also sets up the shipping information and the seller only has the rabbits at the airport at the appropriate time. It can be quite expensive, but I had good results. It can be cheaper if multiple people have rabbits shipped at the same time and can share expenses. For me it was only $20 per rabbit since several other people also shipped. http://keepsrabbitry.blogspot.com/2009/ ... bbits.html <- Good information on shipping by plane.

I checked ito it last year. It seems there is only one airline that still will do it. According to the lady I talked with, it is much better if ther is a non-stop flight city to city. One is supposed to provide food and a bottle of water, which they are supposed to geive to the animal if a transfer is required. From what I understad, most of the problem is that even though one provides it, it is not ever give to the rabbit. As I understand it one has to ship in a certain kennel that is rather expensive, and the ticket is also rather expensive. I will try to see if I still have here email which gives the Airline. I can tell you that if you are shippping from Wisconsin to North Dakota, the drive and a motel room would be much less expensive.

The carrier you use can be a regular show carrier (visit Bass Equipment or a similar supplier for photos) with a solid top. Most people use a piece of wood over the top.

Back