Princess my first Holland Lop!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh shes actually 2 months old. I leave the door open, hoping she comes out and every 10minutes i go up, see what shes doing and give her a nice head and back rub, with a small piece of breadcrust! At least shes eating out of my hand when I hold the crust so I guess that is a good sign.

Getting her out is the hardest part since she gets spooked and starts panicing, need to try later tonight with some readcrust and slowly do it from the side.

2 months is a very young bun.
About leaving the door open hoping she will come out... My cage is a top open & front open cage. I know every rabbit is different but Pie didnt like going out the open front door of his cage either for the first couple weeks or so, still dont really kow why. Even now, a month later, he still hesitates and prefers to be "taken out" of his cage from the top (I usually do this in one swift motion, one hand under his rump and one hand on his tummy just under his front paws... he doesnt struggle atall when I take him out of his cage).
I would just take her out and leave her out for a bit and stay with her on the floor so she can get used to you.

Pickles":ze69vx6v said:
2 months is a very young bun.
About leaving the door open hoping she will come out... My cage is a top open & front open cage. I know every rabbit is different but Pie didnt like going out the open front door of his cage either for the first couple weeks or so, still dont really kow why. Even now, a month later, he still hesitates and prefers to be "taken out" of his cage from the top (I usually do this in one swift motion, one hand under his rump and one hand on his tummy just under his front paws... he doesnt struggle atall when I take him out of his cage).
I would just take her out and leave her out for a bit and stay with her on the floor so she can get used to you.

Mmmm ok! Maybe its just me, but today petting her (even her sides) she didnt really move...Im hoping that is a good thing! Ill have to try to get her out of the side door, beginning to think maybe the top scares the bajeezies out of her. Also doesnt help when shes always under the shelf, hard to reach! I dont usually do swift motions...Im always doing it slowly -.- Too hesitant because I know it's scared and Im afraid to hurt it -o-

you have to remember Cav don't rush her. Give her some time and she'll be the bunny that you want.

BUT with picking up rabbits, you want to be fast so you get something under her feet as soon as possible. As prey animals rabbits are hard-wired in their brains to know that if they are off the ground and something has them in it's grip...it's probably going to be eaten. Something under their feet and their head covered helps them have that security that they will be okay. :)

Yeah Im definitely giving her time. Ill just pet her, give her treats once in awhile and talk to her XD Now a question with picking her up. If I have one hand under her belly/chest and the other on her hind legs, is it ok to get a towel to cover her head?

This is the first I have heard of having to cover their eyes. Ive never covered a rabbits eyes when holding them before. I guess all rabbits are different so do what is best for your bun.

She's been such a darling today :) Still runs away once in awhile when I pet her, but understandable as I guess she is still nervous! Shes letting me feed her closer now so I guess that is also a plus :) Prob gonna attempt to pick her up next week, let her settle in :D

I got a holland lop several months ago, and i just adore him! :D he is also taking slow to handling, but we are getting better! We just had our first show, and he took 2nd! It takes time and patience, but it is well worth it :D

Latest posts

Back