Rabbit is hand shy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mele

Reaction score
Hello again. I am somewhat new to rabbits (had them long ago) and I'm re-familiarizing myself with them.

I got a rabbit that is about a year old. Long story short, she was a bit neglected. She's eating and drinking well, and likes to come up to the front of the cage to stick her nose at you.

However, we try to pet the rabbits a couple times a day to get them used to us, but we have noticed that she gets very twitchy around her shoulders, ears and face. Not just like a small twitch, like some rabbits do to tell you to watch it, but as soon as your arm comes near the front half, she flattens against the ground, plasters her ears to her body and tilts her head into the corner and winces with her eyes. As soon as you move your hand away or to her rump end she's normal again. It's very sad.

I have looked her over thoroughly and I don't see any ear mites or surface injuries. I do have a little rabbit experience and I was also a vet assistant for a few years so I somewhat know what to look for regarding those. My gut feeling says it's behavioral. Because you don't even have to be touching her, just near her with your hand, for her to act like this. I think she got picked up by her ears a lot. :(

But the reason I'm asking is because I'm very worried that she may have some underlying injury or problem that I can't see. I know picking up by the ears is painful. Can she have a permanent injury from it? If it's behavioral, is there anything else I can do to help her realize I'm a nice lady and I'm not going to lug her around by the ears? What do you think?

Aww, poor thing. :(

I would continue working with her. You might want to take her out of the cage and pet her while she is on a grooming table or your lap.

Keep the head petting to a minimum, focusing mostly on the areas she likes with just an occasional stroke of the "problem areas". You might also try gently resting one hand on her head, covering her eyes, and gently stroking her shoulders.

Good luck! I hope she learns to trust you soon. :)

I see this behavior in silverfox does way too much. (Thats just the breed I'm most familiar with, it can happen with any doe, I'm sure)
At least the ones I've seen are all behavioral, generally from having rarely been handled, or perhaps from being picked up by their scruffs.

Or they might be naturally rather shy and submissive. It is a lot better than aggression!

My first actions with these types is to not touch where they are uncomfortable and start with hand feeding small amounts of treats.

Alright so I read your replies (thank you!) and went out to the rabbit shed to try some stuff. I picked her up gently but quickly, and I set her on the table to comb her. She froze in place, very tense, and then I pulled a carrot slice from my pocket and let her eat it from my hand while I groomed her. After she was done with the carrot slice she turned around and calmly gave my hand, arm and the comb a thorough sniff :D She let me finish grooming her then I picked her up and put her back in her cage, and she stuck her head out at me and let me pet her shoulder for about 20 seconds while I talked at her. I know we still have a long way to go, but I think it's good progress! I know she might not ever be sweet and affectionate but my goal is that she stops being so afraid of me.

By the way, the other rabbit I got from the same place was very shy and stayed at the back of the cage for the first few days but now is becoming very friendly and sweet. She's all over the front of the cage the moment she sees you and follows your hand so you will pet her the second the door is open. She doesn't shrink away when you touch her head or anywhere like the other gal. She really does seem to like the attention. It's funny how different they are!

Mele":rr2yedst said:
It's funny how different they are!

Yep. Rabbits are individuals :)

Between my two sweetest girls, one has an ear fetish and wants me to stroke them for hours, and the other dislikes it and she twitches with discomfort and annoyance when I accidentally touch them. She will lay her head on my lap for scratches, but just hates it when I touch her ears.

Laying the head down or to the side with eyes closed it a very nervous submissive gesture, "I don't like this or am scared of it, but I won't do anything or feel powerless to stop you"

I just want to say turning her back on you or fleeing to the farthest corner of the cage would be a scared or annoyed rabbit. One who puts its head and ears down is waiting for grooming. Gently run your fingers over her face, between her ears, along her neck and lightly massage and ruffle the fur. Some of mine are brutal shoving their heads into my hands and demanding a face massage the way a cat does and will not take no for an answer.

Latest posts

Back