couple of questions on cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleanview

Reaction score
Have been building cages in preparation for some rabbits but have a couple of questions on a DIY platform.

1. I am unclear of the bucks "pee guards". How high should they come up from the bottom and should they wrap around in an L shape and cover some of the bottom?

2. I have come the the door making process and began to wonder if regular j clips that I have used for building will service as hinges for the door?

3. What is the best local purchase to serve as the cover you put around the door and opening?

4. last (for now) what is the recommended size door for housing NZ rabbits? the cages are 30 wide 24 deep 24 tall.

thanks

I use J clips for my cage door hinges, it works fine as long as you cut or grind the wire tails [from cutting the door out] off close, so it can swing freely.
----I have bought "corner bead" [ for sheetrock corners ]at lowes , folded it together, and pop riveted it around door openings. I grind the edges of my doors [see above comment]to get rid of any sharp places.
---The door should be large enough for a nest box to be put in the cage-- at my place doors are 12" x 12" opening.

very good ideas!

ANy input on the pee guard measurements?

And of course any other ideas as well?

Thanks

The pee guards on my buck pens are 12" high. I house several bucks next to each other, so they also kinda serve as dividers. They can still look up over the top to see what's going on. They're placed between the pens on the sides and backs. Only the front is without a guard.

They're made out of aluminum metal - came in a roll, brown on one side and white on the other. Got it at Home Depot in the roofing and guttering area. It's already 12" high, just cut it to lenghth. I zip-tie them to the pen. They come off and get power-washed when I take the pen out for cleaning. Since it's aluminum, it doesn't rust.

Some bucks just like to get into pee-ing contests, mark their territory, whatever. Others, not so much. Having the guards that high has made for much cleaner rabbits.

In my doe pens, I have a shelf 12" off the floor. They really like it when the little ones are out of the nest box and running about. And it seems to work out just right - about the time the kits are jumping up on the shelf with mom, it's time to wean them. Made our shelves using the same wire as the floor so that the rabbits don't "soil" them.

I made my shelves from 1x12 and some from 2x12 lumber I don't have trouble with does pooping on them. But. if I put bucks in the cages with the shelf some of them make a mess. I like wood because it is easy on feet and they prefer to lay on it more then wire also. I also set the shelf bottom just over a foot high ,so my winter nest box can slide under it easily

very good. I am building cages (seems liek that is all i do) to get ready for my rabbits that will be here friday.

Back