Why Won't My Rabbits Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update...as I already said, I put a nesting boxing yesterday, and now she's pulling out her hair, which tells me that she probably is already pregnant. I'm going to give a rest on everything and I'll update you soon if she does give birth.

Comet007":3o805hig said:
I actually came across two or three larger scale rabbit breeders who DO use OACV
Can you provide a link to these I would like to check them out.

Okay, I'm pretty sure that she did give birth because I can see you small movements in her cardboard box. I can't quite see the actual kits, but I'm pretty sure that they're in there because I keep hearing movement. Now, I have another question. Will she take care of them? I never see her in the box when I come out and I've been told that she won't feed her kits unless she's alone. Can she be trusted alone? Not like I have any other choice... <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:01 am -- <br /><br /> Okay, I'm pretty sure that she did give birth because I can see you small movements in her cardboard box. I can't quite see the actual kits, but I'm pretty sure that they're in there because I keep hearing movement. Now, I have another question. Will she take care of them? I never see her in the box when I come out and I've been told that she won't feed her kits unless she's alone. Can she be trusted alone? Not like I have any other choice...

Congratulations!
If she built a nest, pulled hair, and had the babies where she was supposed to, then everything is going good so far.

She will only nurse them once or twice a day, and will not lay with them in between, so don't worry if you never see them together. Just check for fat bellies.

Thank you very much! I'll make sure to check for fat bellies. I think they're okay right now, but I can't exactly tell what would be fat and healthy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 2,274
My male seems uninterested (he was a few days ago now he just sits when I put her with him) and my female seems grouchy. They have been together but I am almost positive they haven't bred. I watched them twice and I never saw her lift (the 2nd time I was watching from the front) and didn't see a dramatic fall off from him. Her fur above her tail was wet so it seems the sperm may have landed there than where it was supposed to. He is new to us and could be getting used to his new cage and food, but was excited and aggressive to mate the day after we brought him home, and now a few days later shows no interest. I am going to try apple cider vinegar and switching cages, but has anyone had this problem with their buck? Congrats on your past success Evan-they look great and I hope you have had more since then:)

Usually lack of interest by a buck who previously tries to breed just means that buck is smart enough to know that doe is not ready to be bred. Already pregnant or not in breeding condition. Occasionally a doe does get bred without the usual signs. I used to use a netherland dwarf buck to test some does. If he went after them they would likely get bred by the buck I wanted and if not then it was a waste of time to try. He was very good with the does except some of the more aggressive ones but that was partially his size. Even dwarf does could be too big for him to push back because he weighed like 1lb. Sometimes I did let him breed mini rex instead of just netherlands. I had a doe that was terrified of bucks and would even scream about being with other mini rex bucks. So I put her with the ND buck and after a minute she realized the buck was not dangerous and even humped him a bit before he bred her. Bred fine with the mini rex bucks after that.

I know some people who raised rabbits in nearly 24 hour darkness and here in the northern US I've never used light and bred year round. Maybe some lines of rabbit are used to light but most of the rabbits that come from this area don't need it. They have been bred for many generations in northern light patterns.

Yes just like anything they are all different. I just need to decide of I'm operating under the assumption she is already pregnant or not. I have read about palpitation and will try that but have never done it before and understand it can be tricky.......so I do not feel like that's going to be a great indicator as well. May just need to keep checking things and see if they regain interest in each other....

evankliewer":20cvdd02 said:
Thank you very much! I'll make sure to check for fat bellies. I think they're okay right now, but I can't exactly tell what would be fat and healthy.

Look at those interesting colors! More pics needed!

Latest posts

Back