Getting does to get along?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put two does in with my buck once to see how they would do as a trio.

When I had put the two does alone, they fought, so I added in the buck. They got along fine even after I took the buck out.

Thats my only experience thus far!

How do I know if they will fight
put them togeather and see :D I would make sure they had a lot of space to run around each other and to get out of each others way

is mounting a friendly sign?
Sometimes. If they mount to relieve sexual stress its a good thing, just a sister helping a girl out :) but if its a dominance display and the bottom doe doesn't want to be dominated the fur will start flying.

image.php

Well how about ear cleaning?
OK, so I lied, the doeling isn't fully mature, but she's old enough for a rabbit to consider her post-puberty, she's actually larger then the v-lop, but totally submissive.

So, I have them in Mucky(the v-lop's) pen right now, and she is still following that little black doe around cleaning her ears. haha

It's just that Mucky wants to mount the other girl, and the black runs away, but I don't think either doe has any aggression.

eh, bunny flops are a good sign too right? If a doe will do flops with another doe in her pen...it's probably going to be alright?

( I have very little experience getting rabbits to "buddy up", heh, there was this rex doe once who bit the ear tip off a 6 week old kit, and a jr bucks nose all through cage wire, so I'm always really nervous about allowing contact)

image.php

I think we're in the clear though. Cause this is in the v-lops everyday pen, it should really be pushing her tolerance, right?

Grooming each other is a great sign... And while bonding rabbits is usually done in a neutral space, than if the v-lop (who is freaking ADORABLE) is fine with it in HER space, it should be good.

Just watch out for even the littlest of things, like a small scratch, chunk of fur... Squabbles will happen, but keep an eye out ESP. When the black doe gets a bit older. She might become a bit more aggressive

Thank you, Mucky IS adorable.

image.php

She's getting on 8 months old too, I should probably have her bred, as I have reason to suspect she'd make a great momma, and the kits would be ultra friendly, what with being inside and being loved on.

I'll watch that black doe closely, too.

CochinBrahmaLover":1og0j3oj said:
She's so fluffy! Do v-lops have Rex fur? She looks like she does.

Yep, Velveteen lops are a mini rex and English lop combination, preferably with the English lop personality. I like that the ears aren't quite as long either, as she's less likely to scratch them up. She's small for her breed though, I think, at only 5 lbs.

Oh! Velveteen lop. I was thinking english lop for some reason. :? Thought shed end up with 5ft long ears! :p

Id love to own one of them beauties! Mind if I steal Mucky? ;)!

CochinBrahmaLover":g4lucqxq said:
Oh! Velveteen lop. I was thinking english lop for some reason. :? Thought shed end up with 5ft long ears! :p

Id love to own one of them beauties! Mind if I steal Mucky? ;)!

Never! I suspect strongly she's a 1 in a 1000 rabbit. If I had access to a buck I would have her bred for a pet litter, she has no health problems and her personality is amazing. Maybe I'll try and pose her and let the good people on RT tell me where she falls short type wise :lol:

I have a 2 srs does and if i put them together and they fight what do i do?do i grab one?will they do much damage?

The one doe got out of her cage while the other was running around and they didnt fight they just humped eachother..

, is mounting a friendly sign? [Zass]
Mounting whether it is between two Bucks or two Does,
is a show of Dominance. One is showing the other that they are taking charge here!
They are the ALPHA and the dominated one must bow down to it's LEADER!
Eventually these things lead to an outright Battle. So no, it's not always a good sign.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":10gm7j1c said:
is a show of Dominance. One is showing the other that they are taking charge here!
Eventually these things lead to an outright Battle. So no, it's not always a good sign.

That experiment eventually led to a false pregnancy and nest building behavior on that SF doelings part! After that, she wanted bred bad enough to start chasing the house bunny around, and that is when I felt it was best to separate them. They did share a pen peacefully for several months. But...the eventual size difference between the rabbits was problematic.

Initially the SF fryer and the adult v-lop doe were pretty close to same size, but after a few months the SF doe was getting close to double the size of the velveteen and I was afraid my little velveteen might be injured.

I have used the same house rabbit to socialize a few doelings now, and I haven't had to separate them all due to necessity. Keeping mostly mellow breeds seems to help, along with making sure the pen has a lot of space and objects for a rabbit to hide behind or jump up onto.

I would like to note. I don't see it as entirely dominance behavior. A lot of the mounting looks purely sexual. Like frustration.

ottersatin":1d76koqp said:
I disagree.

Mounting can also be part of play and be a way to release sexual tension and, in my experience, it is rarely used as a sign of dominace in rabbits as they prefer to use vocalizations, thumping, chasing, swiping and biting to establish hierarchies and boss others around.

they prefer to use vocalizations, thumping, chasing, swiping and biting to establish hierarchies and boss others around.
Oh yes, that does happen but usually what leads to that is:
After they have been mounting each other for awhile and
one or the other does not give in and allow itself to be dominated by the other,
the fighting, Biting and scratching begins in earnest and one or both could
end up mortally wounded or in many cases DEAD!
Oh well, we all must make the best choice that works for us!

You are correct that it could definitely escalate to that in some situations ottersatin.
And it is a good warning for anyone reading this thread too.
So thanks!

I wouldn't tolerate biting, nipping, or scratching behavior at all, and would have separated them immediately if I had seen such.

I cull heavily for temperament, and one of my foundation rabbits that I tend to favor doelings from was successfully kept in a colony setting before I adopted her. I tend to think spending their jr time with a really friendly doe would help teach them how to socialize with other rabbits later.

Perhaps those factors make up a part of why there tends to be very little aggressive behavior among my does?

Latest posts

Back