Storage of grains

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearsrock

Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm taking the plunge for a more natural diet. But here's my problem, I can get the grains but only in 50# bags. So if I get oats, wheat, barley, boss, I have to figure out how to store the rest, preferably outdoors. What kind of containers are best not only for bugs, but also rodents & moisture? I found some containers at Costco, they hold (I think) 40#, but I would need about 5 each and at $30 each, it seemed pricey. I only have 8 does and 2 bucks, so I need something that would keep them fresh for a couple months.

I appreciate any feedback!

Renee
S CA

I put bag and all into a plastic drum. You can also use a steel drum. Generally you can find those for $5 a piece. You would be able to fit 2 individual bags into a drum if you wanted. For lids, I use a piece of heavy plywood

I've also used the larger tupperware type tubs to keep grain out in the turkey area (quite a ways from the barn). Again, I leave it in the bag. Put a rock or something on the lid of the container just in case some critter gets curious.

Concern about bugs is a big problem with California, I'd think. hmmmm Have you anyone else in the area that could split bags with you? Oats..horse people are a natural there. BOSS..almost any rabbit fancier or poultry person will use that. You should be able to get smaller bags of BOSS, btw. check with feed stores, bird stores, pet stores. And this year...plant your OWN sunflowers! They should grow really well for you :)

How about a defunct chest freezer? Should be bug-proof, I'd think. It should hold all you need and I'll be you could find one for free or close to it. All your bags of grains and seeds would fit quite nicely and it is easy to open. (If there are kids around, get one that locks for safety!)

I don't know if condensation would be a problem... I've never lived in a climate other than Ontario's and while summers here are humid, they are not THAT bad.

By the way, it is not absolutely essential to have a three grain mix. My rabbits are doing very well on wheat and a bit of BOSS. They have good alfalfa hay and that gives them most of their nutrients. Wheat and oats are approximately equal in nutrition, but oats are a "cooler" feed so might be better for your climate. So you might want to buy just oats and barley, plus the BOSS.

My sister stores her feed in an old chest freezer usually you get those free.They work great.

Latest posts

Back